WikiAfrica GLAM project looking for Wikipedians in Residence

  • Waldir
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2012
      Hi all,

      I just learned about this initiative by the WikiAfrica project: http://www.wikiafrica.net/two-wikipedians-in-residence-for-africa/

      Basically, they're looking for two Wikipedians in Residence, one in Cape Town, South Africa, at the Africa Centre; and the other in Douala, Cameroon, at doual'art.

      I thought this would be a perfect venue to share the announcement.

      Cheers,
      Waldir
    • bisharat_dot_net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2012
        Thanks Waldir. It would be great if the Wikipedians in Residence had an active interest in African language editions of Wikipedia. The positions are connected with the WikiAfrica project and are as follows (from the link in your message):

        "WikiAfrica has put out a call for two Wikipedians in Residence (WiR) for the African Continent. The first will facilitate the WikiAfrica Cameroon Project at doual’art in Cameroon. The other will be based with WikiAfrica at the Africa Centre in Cape Town, and will concentrate on assisting, training and supporting the content partners that are part of WikiAfrica’s Share Your Knowledge project."

        According to the source, the Cameroon WiR position focuses on English and French content, with no mention of Cameroonian first languages.

        Not clear on the focus on the position in Cape Town.

        Hope to learn more about this.

        Don

        --- In afrophonewikis@yahoogroups.com, "Waldir" <waldir@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I just learned about this initiative by the WikiAfrica project: http://www.wikiafrica.net/two-wikipedians-in-residence-for-africa/
        >
        > Basically, they're looking for two Wikipedians in Residence, one in Cape Town, South Africa, at the Africa Centre; and the other in Douala, Cameroon, at doual'art.
        >
        > I thought this would be a perfect venue to share the announcement.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Waldir

      • Waldir Pimenta
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2012
          Well, GLAM projects will certainly benefit all languages and especially those of the regions where the projects are developed, regardless of the working language of those who work in the project. For example, illustrations, photographies, documents and other media from local sources will certainly, after being made freely available and easily accessible by the GLAM project, be usable to illustrate articles, be used as references, and generally enrich the contents of such Wikipedias (more so, in fact, than other wikis which don't have such a local focus and therefore will have less granular coverage of local topics), even if the GLAM project itself doesn't integrate the content into the Wikipedias. Making things available is the first step.

          I understand your point, and agree with you: it would be ideal if the project focused in the local Wikipedias. but I believe this project might still benefit Afrophone Wikipedias more than other Wikipedias, even if indirectly, for the reasons I outlined above.

          Cheers,
          Waldir