Re: [afrophonewikis] TWB & Wikipedia medical articles project

  • Etienne Ruedin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2012
      The main information about the Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/
      Translation task force can found on the english Wikipedia, here:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Medicine/
      Translation_task_force

      If you click on the "Prgoress" tab, yoou may see the articles ready
      to translate from simple english. Tonight, 15 articles are ready. At
      the same site, the languagesa are listed, at the moment for 26
      languages translators are available. This are african ones: Swahili,
      (oups, only one, the others are most indian and eastern european).

      At the site mentioned above on english wikipedia, it is written, to
      start, a list of the 80 terms should be translated by the community
      (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book:Health_care). This has started in
      swahili an din lingála. Maybe not every african wikipedia community
      knows about the project (it startet in 2011! – I learnt about it from
      Don's posting)? Or need some people simple french instead of simple
      english to translate?

      Best wishes
      Etienne

      Am 09.07.2012 um 12:42 schrieb afrophonewikis@yahoogroups.com:

      > The NGO Translators Without Borders (TWB) has a project to
      > translate medical articles for various editions of Wikipedia. See
      > the video in which TWB director Lori Thicke explains, at http://
      > bit.ly/Na3Ihj
      >
      > I'd be interested to know (1) which African language editions are
      > involved, and (2) more about the Wikipedia side of the effort.
      >
      > This certainly sounds like exactly the kind of initiative that can
      > help develop African language editions into more useful information
      > resources.
    • bisharat_dot_net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2012
        Thanks, Etienne, This is very helpful (I also tweeted the info). I'll see if I can find anyone at Wikimania who is involved in the Project Medicine or its translation task force.

        Don