Mobile use of Wikipedia

  • Gerard Meijssen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2010
      Hoi,
      Many people say that mobile access to the Internet is the way for the future. As actions speak louder then words, I am really happy to inform you that the localisations for Hausa and Swahili are now life. Remember, it took only the localisation of some 25 messages to accomplish this !! I would specifically want this done for Wolof, Igbo and Yoruba as well.

      As I mentioned on my blog there were some 66 languages that had the most traffic in Februari 2010. Given that there are fewer days in Februari it is more special then the most traffic in Januari :) Many African languages were among the 66.

      While I am happy with the success of the Hausa localisation, its main page is so poor that we could not reuse parts of it to build a mobile main page. Remember this can be static text, but what we have now is not good enough, who can help?

      For the mobile mail page for Swahili I am liasing with MuddyB for a mobile main page.. the URL is http://sw.m.wikipedia.org

      Action speaks louder then words, <grin> I do my best to get the actions heard about mobile MediaWiki at http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/search/label/mobile </grin>
      Thanks,
           GerardM