African curriculm MediaWiki project

  • Ryan Wells
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
      I would like to bring a new project to the attention of this group. It is called OLiVER and has recently joined together with WikiEducator - http://wikieducator.org/OLiVER_Project

      OLiVER is a MediaWiki project that is intended to be a place where the best resources are organized in relation to specific national curricula. It is especially geared toward teachers, students, and schools who are new internet users in Africa, to help find the best resources easily. Uganda is the first curriculum that has been put online. OLiVER can also serve as the way to find textbooks and other resources that may be hard to come by for some schools. It has many external links, but has a goal of eventually being all free, open content. For example, OLiVER hopes to link together with Wikiversity and Wikibooks to be mutually beneficial. See a simple example dealing with chemistry: http://wikieducator.org/Part_1:_Elementary_Chemistry#Section_3:_Acids_and_Bases. Feel free to jump in and develop the curriculum in your areas of interest.

      Currently, the Ugandan curriculum is posted in English. However, there are African language portions of the curriculum that need to be developed. In addition, OLiVER has a goal to be posted in multiple languages, not just as language subjects in the curriculum. This group could great help in all of our efforts

      If you have ideas or comments, please email the list, or me, or add to the discussion on the OLiVER pages.

      Thank you,
      Ryan

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Don Osborn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007
        Thanks Ryan for this information. This is encouraging, and the extent
        to which materials are in diverse languages is important. Internet
        publishing, especially via wikis, has I think the potential to help
        fill the gap for instructional materials in African languages. On the
        web in forms that can be printed at telecenters - in theory this could
        play an important role. I'll be interested to follow this.

        Don