NYC, USA: Tribal Soundz

  • tribalsoundz
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      TRIBAL SOUNDZ
      Bringing you the worlds music...and everything you need to play it

      340 east 6th street
      212-674-5992
      tribalsoundz@...
      www.tribalsoundz.com
      open daily 3-11:30pm weekends 12-12

      M U S I C W O R K S H O P S A T TRIBAL SOUNDZ are cool...
      pleez call or email to pre-register

      (SPECIAL CLASS!)
      Sat Dec 7 2-3pm $15
      SPECIAL DJEMBE CLASS
      MOZAMBICAN RHYTHMS w/ROLANDO ALEXANDRE
      From The National Song & Dance Company of Mozambique
      Traditional Mozambican rhythms taught on djembe. All levels.

      Every Sat ongoing 12:30-1:30 $15
      BEGINNING DUMBEK w/RAMI ELAASSER

      Every Sunday 12:15-1:45 $15
      WINTER WORLD CAROLLING w/NATALIE HULL
      Get into the holiday spirit tribal style. Every country has a
      different
      reason to celebrate in December, and for every reason there is a
      song.
      Learn
      new languages, new traditions, new people. Carolling is for everyone,
      even
      if you only sing in the shower.

      Every Sunday 2-3 pm $15
      BEGINNING DJEMBE
      w/Rolando Alexandre from The National Song & Dance Co of Mozambique

      Sat Nov 30 2-3:30pm $15
      BRAZILIAN SOUNDZ!! w/CABELLO
      Learn the basics of Brazilian rhythms using various percussive
      instruments
      provide by Cabello.Traditional and contemporary styles. All levels
      welcome.If you have a Brazilian instrument that you wish to learn
      more
      about, bring it.

      *

      T R I B A L S O U N D Z L I V E !!!

      Sat Dec 21 midnite 10 bux
      CHRIS BERRY & PANJEA
      at: The Bowery Poetry Club
      Bowery @ 1st Street

      Where beautiful Mozambican girls dance to booty grinding electronic
      bass and
      drums, African percussion and funky horns

      "Chris Berry possesses a unique and reedy voice like Sting a stage
      presence like James brown and lyrical content reminicent of Bob
      Marley"
      New
      York Press

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
      %

      TRIBAL SOUNDZ RECOMMENDS

      DESPITE RECENT FIRE, 23-YEAR WINTER SOLSTICE HOLIDAY TRADITION IN NYC
      &
      ON
      NPR CONTINUES, AFRICAN-STYLE

      Performances of "Paul Winter's 23rd Annual Winter Solstice
      Celebration!",
      beginning Thursday, Dec. 19, will feature an abundance of African
      music and
      dance in the huge Cathedral of St. John the Divine. Performances of
      these
      ecumenical Celebrations are on Thursday, Dec.19, and Friday, Dec.
      20,
      at
      7:30 p.m.; and Saturday, Dec. 21, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. A musical,
      theatrical and environmental spectacle, the Celebrations have for
      many
      years
      taken place the week before solstice, so this marks only the third
      time
      in
      23 years that the actual moment of solstice occurs during one of the
      performances--at 8:14 p.m. on Dec. 21. "Paul Winter's Winter
      Solstice
      Celebration!" takes the audience on a symbolic journey through the
      longest
      night of the year. The return of the sun is represented by the
      world's
      largest tam-tam gong, seven feet in diameter, which ascends, played
      by
      musician in a bosun's chair, up toward the Cathedral's 100-foot-high
      ceiling. Another effect takes advantage of the Cathedral's 604-foot
      interior length: a giant "Earth Ball," moves along the aisle as if
      through
      space, and then rises, spinning, up into the vault of the Nave.

      Tickets for the Winter Solstice Celebrations are $65 for reserved
      seats, and $39 and $29 for general admission. Discounted tickets for
      certain performances are available only from the Cathedral Box Office
      for
      children, students and seniors. Reserved seats typically sell out by
      Thanksgiving. For credit card orders of tickets by phone, call
      CityTix, at
      (212)581-1212. Tickets may be purchased in person at the Cathedral
      Box
      Office at (212)662-2133, which is also the best phone number for
      information.

      The Cathedral of St. John the Divine, the world's largest Gothic
      cathedral, is located at Amsterdam Ave. and West 112th St.
    • tribalsoundz
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
        TRIBAL SOUNDZ
        Bringing you the worlds music....and everything you need to play it

        340 east 6th st
        212-673-5992
        www.tribalsoundz.com
        tribalsoundz@...
        open daily 3-11:30pm weekends 12-12

        ^
        S P E C I A L! S P E C I A L! S P E C I A L!
        ZIMBABWE MUSIC WORKSHOPS...AND LIVE SHOW w/CHRIS BERRY!!

        ALL WORKSHOPS HELD AT TRIBAL SOUNDZ
        (Pleez register in advance...call or email)

        Thurs Feb 27 7-8pm $15
        MBIRA SINGING WORKSHOP w/CHRIS BERRY
        Learn the ancient singing style of the Shona people of Zimbabwe. These
        unique songs are known for their power to call upon spirits.
        All levels welcome.

        Sat March 1 2-3 $15
        MBIRA WORKSHOP w/CHRIS BERRY
        Learn to play the sacred Mbira (thumb piano) of Zimbabwe. Mbira is the
        national instrument of Zimbabwe and is traditionally used to call
        ancestral
        spirits for healing and advice at traditional ceremonies.
        All levels welcome. Instruments available.

        TRIBAL SOUNDZ L I V E !!!
        CHRIS BERRY !! AFRO-FUNK Saturday March 1st 11pm $10
        at THE BOWERY POETRY CLUB Bowery @ 1st street
        Chris Berry and the Blue Tribe Band featuring amazing African
        Dancers,
        Jamaican Rapper, Feco as well 12 other musicians.

        DONT MISS THIS SHOW!!!
        TRIBAL SOUNDZ LOVES C H R I S B E R R Y !!!

        *

        S P E C I A L
        DIGERIDOO WORKSHOPS w/ visiting artist STEPHEN KENT!!
        Master Didjeridu player Stephen Kent is making a rare visit to
        New
        York in March. Stephen Kent has been playing the didjeridu for over
        20
        years
        and is one of it's pioneering virtuosos on the contemporary global
        music
        scene.

        Sunday March 16 12-1:30 $15
        BEGINNING DIGERIDOO WORKSHOP w/STEPHEN KENT
        The beginners workshop goes right to the basics with the Didjeridu's
        cultural history, and also looks at it's context in the modern
        world.
        We'll
        work on basic techniques of sound production, animal cries, mouth
        muscle
        strengthening exercises and an introduction to circular
        breathing .No
        experience necessary.

        Sunday March 16 3:30-5 $15
        INTERMEDIATE DIGERIDOO WORKSHOP w/STEPHEN KENT
        The Intermediate Workshop is for you if you can already circular
        breathe.
        Advanced rhythmic techniques and cool rhythms, polyrhythms from the
        inside.
        More animal cries, harmonic overtone styles, tooting and trumpeting.

        and SEE STEPHEN KENT L I V E !! SOLO DIGERIDOO!
        Sunday March 16 8pm $10
        TAGINE DINING GALLERY
        9th ave @ 40th street

        *
        *

        LOTS MORE F A N T A S T I C MUSIC CLASSES AT TRIBAL SOUNDZ
        (Pleeez pre-register)

        Every Sunday 2-3pm $15
        BEGINNING DJEMBE WORKSHOP w/ROLANDO ALEXANDRE
        (The National Song And Dance Company of Mozambique)
        No experience necessary. Drums available.

        Every Sat 12-1:30 $15
        BEGINNING DUMBEK w/RAMI ELAASSER
        Learn the basic sounds of dumbek & some traditional middle eastern
        rhythms.

        Sat March 29 2-3pm $15
        INTERMEDIATE DUMBEK w/RAQUY DANZIGER
        This is a class for people who are familiar with the basic hits and
        rhythms
        of the dumbek. We will focus on ornamentation, odd rhythms and
        polyrhythms.

        Tuesdays March 4th, 11th and 18th 7-8:30 $15
        also April 1st,8th, 15th, 22nd
        PANDEIRO w/CABELLO
        PANDEIRO, the Brazilian tambourine
        Learn the basics and advanced strokes, gripping and sounds. We will
        go
        through traditional and contemporary Brazilian rhythms on the most
        popular
        Brazilian percussion instrument. Bring your Pandeiro if you have
        one,
        if
        not, instruments available.

        Saturday March 8, 15 & 22 2-3:30pm $15
        BRAZILIAN SOUNDZ!! w/CABELLO
        Learn the basics of Brazilian rhythms using various percussive
        instruments
        provide by Cabello. Traditional and contemporary styles. All levels
        welcome. If you have a Brazilian instrument that you wish to learn
        more
        about, bring it.

        Sun March 9 & 23 12:15-1:45 $15 Adults $10 children
        TRIBAL SONGS FOR PARENTS & CHILDREN w/NATALIE HULL
        Parents & children sing songs from all over the world!

        Wed March 19 7-8pm $15
        TAIKO DRUMMING WORKSHOP w/ Hiro Kurashima
        Introducing Japanese performing art. In this class you will learn
        basic
        rhythm,melody and forms.

        Mon March 24 7-8pm $15
        MBIRA WORKSHOP w/ MAURIZIO CAPPARELLI

        Tues March 25 7-8 $15
        TABLA WORKSHOP w/BILL BUCHEN
        .
        Mon March 31 7-8pm $15
        WOMENS DRUM CIRCLE w/ROBIN BURDULIS
        Express yourself! Experimentation & technique combine to take us on a
        percussive journey to creativity. All levels welcome.

        *
        *

        H O T S H O W !! and unbelievably cool......
        You gotsta see this...

        TRIBAL SOUNDZ LIVE
        Fri March 7 10pm at The Bowery Poetry Club - Bowery @ 1st
        street

        KEN BUTLER'S Voices of Anxious Objects

        The artist-musician performs mesmerizing world textures and driving
        melodic
        gypsy grooves with passion and purpose on an amazing arsenal of
        amplified
        hybrid string instruments made from household objects and tools.
        Duchampian
        Dada meets Hybrid Hindu Hendrix.

        "an astonishing performer who delivers fiery world-infused
        compositions not unlike a Hindu avatar coming to "burn the midnight
        lamp".
        Glenn Max, The Knitting Factory