Re: [african_music] Songs That Start With Africa

  • Michael Leahy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2002
      >>Message: 3
      >> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:02:00 -0000
      >> From: "JohnD" <dubrule@...>
      >>Subject: Songs That Start With Africa

      >>I'm looking for a new song to start my show, the Sound Safari. I'd
      >>like a song that starts with Africa as the first word. I've got one
      >>from the Sarafina Cast that I don't think is upbeat enough.
      >>Does anyone have any suggestions?

      R.A.S. from Burkina Faso have an excellent hip-hop track called "Drame
      Africain". Morocco's Majjid Bekkas has a good gnawa called "African Blues".
      Contact me if you want more details.

      Michael
    • Gilbert Hsiao
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18, 2002
        Two suggestions:

        Orchestre Baobab, "Africa" on "On Verra Ca" cd on World
        Circuit; one of the great African cds of all time in my
        opnion, and a great song which runs through a checklist of
        African countries, or

        "Africa mokili mobimba" by Joseph Kabassélé et l'African
        Jazz, one of the all time great cuts by one of the all time
        great African musicians. which appeared on a collection
        called Les Merveilles du passé 1957-1975 on Sonocodisc, but
        may be out of print now.

        These are two great all time classic cuts, if you have
        trouble finding them contact me and I'll burn a copy of them
        for you.

        G. Hsiao