WOMEX NEWSletter # 9 / 2002

  • WOMEX
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002
      Dear African Music Group,

      STATISTICS
      A bigger WOMEX than ever: So far, you have booked more stands than we
      could even offer you last year in Rotterdam. And since we have started
      to count your registrations at the Smart Rate deadline you were always
      on top of last year's figures. It's still a work in progress but all in
      all we now expect around 1,800 delegates or more.

      GUIDE RATE DEADLINE FOR STANDS AND REGISTRATION
      20 September is deadline for your booking of a stand and/or registration
      if you want to be included in the WOMEXGuide. This is the only way to be
      present with all your contact details and your stand location in the
      WOMEXGuide. It's not only the ultimate tool for your work at WOMEX but
      also all delegates' reference-guide for the rest of the year. If you
      leave it until it's too late you won't only miss being mentioned in the
      guide, you'll also have to pay more after this deadline. Your direct
      link to book a stand and/or register:
      http://www.womex.com/special/realwomex/framwom8.html .

      ACCOMMODATION
      Deadline for our special WOMEX hotel rates and room capacities was 13
      September. It's gone. If you have not secured your accommodation yet,
      you should nevertheless contact our agency ZEITSPRUNG
      (mailto:info@...) for the best local offers. Otherwise you
      could check ESSEN TOURIST OFFICE (mailto: touristikzentrale@...) or
      hotel booking services in the internet, for example:
      http://www.eHotel.de
      http://www.hrs.de
      http://www.usahotelguide.com/nexres/search/power_search.cgi?src=10003616&city=Essen&country=DE
      http://www.lodging-germany.com/essen/hotels.htm
      http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187375-Essen_North_Rhine_Westphalia-Hotels.html
      And don't forget: you are travelling to a megapolis of many different
      cities packed close together. Gelsenkirchen for example also has a
      direct tram connection to the WOMEX venue, and Bochum, Oberhausen or
      Duisburg also are nearby possibilities. Click here for the map:
      http://www.essen.de/english/Tourismus_E/Anreise_E/AnreiseundVerkehr_E.htm

      BBC RADIO 3 AWARDS
      Last year WOMEX delegates for the first time formed the "Academy" to
      nominate artists in seven categories for the first BBC Radio 3 Awards
      for World Music. Presented in association with WOMEX, fRoots and
      Songlines magazines, promoters Serious and the Rough Guides, the aim of
      the awards is to increase public awareness of World Music, celebrate
      excellence and diversity, and provide a showcase for the best in the world.

      Now it is time once again for WOMEX delegates to make their opinion
      count and nominate the artists who they feel have produced the strongest
      body of work over the last year, which includes recording but also
      touring, profile and special projects. The categories include Africa,
      the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Boundary Crossing and
      Newcomer.

      If you are registered for WOMEX you have one vote in each
      category, but do not vote for your own product/s. You can vote online at
      virtualWOMEX http://www.womex.com/virtualwomex/sites/specials/members or
      do it in person at WOMEX itself. The top four nominations in each category
      will be announced on Sunday 27 October at the WOMEX Award Celebration.
      One entry will be selected at random and the delegate given an expenses-paid
      trip for 2 to London for the awards night (early in 03).

      Have a nice Indian summer and see you at WOMEX 2002 in Essen 24 - 27
      October!

      Your WOMEX team at Piranha Kultur Berlin