Thanks and Hi

  • William Sakovich
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hello and thanks.

      Just finished listening to a tape I made of Roots of Rumba Rock on Crammed
      or some such label.

      It is Zairean music from the mid-50s. I was apprehensive about music from
      that era, so I didn't buy it. But then I saw it in my local library (!) and
      took it home for a listen.

      It's worth hearing. There are some early Bowane tracks and some early
      Dewayon tracks. One Dewayon has what the liner notes say is the first
      appearance of an electric guitar on a record from Zaire. Another has what
      the liner notes say is the first appearance of Franco on a record, albeit in
      a supporting role.

      It was interesting listening to the early acoustic guitar. It was almost 50
      years ago, but the basic approach to guitar is much the same. The music is
      obviously Cuban-influenced, but still definitely Congolese at the same time.
      Another good thing is the music had not become formulaic yet, so each track
      has some small aspect that sets it apart.

      The liner notes with song explanations are about the best I've ever seen.
      Gives us an idea what we're missing by not understanding Lingala.

      Maybe not for everyone, but good nonetheless. Has anyone heard Vol. 2?

      If anyone can give me a hint about how to deal with Yahoo and go from digest
      to receiving individual notes, I'd appreciate it. I'm on a few other lists
      that Yahoo took over. I try to go in and access them, but am told someone
      else has my password! Of course they do, it's me!

      - Bill Sakovich