Re: Zimbabwe / John Chibadura / Pamanga

  • tim.llewellyn@cableinet.co.uk
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 30, 2001
      --- In african_music@y..., Richard Henwood <Rjhenwood@y...> wrote:
      > --- Cliff Grover <cliff.grover@a...> wrote:
      > > Richard Henwood <Rjhenwood@y...> wrote on
      > > Wed, 28 Mar 2001 at

      > > I assume Joseph Pamanga / Rumekedzo is Zimbabwean
      > > rather than soukous?
      >

      > I think that I need to learn some definitions! I
      > called it soukous because it 'sounds' like the soukous
      > I am familiar with (kanda bongo man, pepe kelle, alain
      > kounko et al), although it is a touch quicker. As you
      > suggest - the title sounds like shona (zimbawean) and
      > the singing also.
      >
      > Is 'soukous' a Congo specific term?

      Depends how specific you want it to be, for me anyway.

      > What does Kwassa Kwassa refer to?

      A specific form of soukous dance innovated by Kanda Bongo Man in the
      80's.

      > > Has anyone seen any albums of his here / on any
      > > compilations? (UK)
      > >

      > i visited "stern's music" (london) a couple of weeks
      > ago, looking for vinyl (of which they had none) but
      > they did have 'tonnes' of cd from just about everyone
      > i could thing of apart from Metro-stars.

      aha, last time I was there (2 years ago) they were selling off all the
      remaining vinyl cheap.

      > Finally, could any folks recomend some definitive
      > soukous records for me to track down for my
      > collection?

      Wenge Music BCBG - Pentagone
      Kanda Bongo Man - Bel Amie
      Zaiko Langa Langa - Avis de Recherche

      just a few off the top of my head.

      > best wishes;
      > richard

    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 12, 2001
        i ni ce, nangadef, jamwale!

        I'm Wendy, from Minneapolis, MN, former Peace Corps volunteer (Mali 88-91). I lived in a village just down the road from Salif Keita's home village, and I'm a friend of Ali Farka Toure, believe it or not. For those of you who live in the midwest, Boubacar Traore will be performing at the Cedar Cultural Centre
        in Minneapolis on June 21, and Habib Koite will be playing there later on this year.

        If you live in Minnesota, are a native Malian, or have traveled in Mali please respond.

        kan ben don were

        =====

        Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. �Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day.
      • firealinta@yahoo.com.au
        Message 3 of 15 , May 28 1:07 AM
          Hi my names alinta

          i joined this group to get involded in more african
          music i live in melborne and go to rudolf stenier
          school doing my vce
          i love the sounds of african music the strong drums
          and trance like chants and of course the beautiful
          people that are singing if you could send me some info
          about any african singing and drumming work shops that
          are not to heavy in the price range that would be
          great thanks

          love alinta

          http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
          - Voice chat, mail alerts, stock quotes and favourite news and lots more!
        • Giovanni Andreani
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2001
            Hello
            I'm an Italian musician, i compose and conduct a choir.
            I'm looking for the music score of the Missa Luba, wich I have
            heard performed by the Muungano National Choir, in Milan.
            Could any one please help me?
            Thank you

            Giovanni Andreani
          • Morris Kanneh
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 14, 2004
              My name is Morris Sekou Kanneh, I am a Liberia from the
              Mandingo tribe.Though I love West African musics, but my
              favorite musics are from Zaire. I have tried through out my
              life to keep on top musics from Zaire. I have achives of
              Congolies music ranging from the 60s to present. But over
              all I love all African music and I am interested in
              discussing them along with other and that is why I am glad
              that I found this group.

              Since I just enrolled, I will wait to see the direction of
              the discussion.

              Morris Sekou Kanneh
            • idowala
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
                Welcome Morris, there's Kanda Bongo Man Womad 2002 video
                footage here:

                http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/womad2002/biog_man.shtml

                Yumi

                --- In african_music@yahoogroups.com, "Morris Kanneh"