Tropical Music News

  • Tropical Music Promotion
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23 3:42 AM
      Dear Friends of Tropical Music,

      springtime has come and we would like to inform you about our recent and upcoming releases at Tropical Music: Cicala Mvta and Jun Miyake from Japan, Mayte Martin from Spain and Ferus Mustafov from Macedonia.

      In march we released already two fine recordings from Japan

      Cicala Mvta "Deko Boko"
      CD 68.822
      After theri stunning debut album from 1999 the second studio recording provides new tracks from the wildest japanese brass band. Ohkuma's perky clarinet is ably abetted by an unusual line-up of musicians, each bringing with them a sense of individuality to supplement Ohkuma's clarinet and saxophone, in what is a totally original line-up: fluid, distorted electric guitar, rip-roaring, booming tuba, squeaking, screeching cello, frantic, discordant fiddle, and tinny, shuffling drums (guest: Samm Bennet).

      The band will be on tour in Europe in summer. Here the first confirmed dates - more dates will be announced soon:
      20.06. A-Wien, Szene
      21.06. A-Wels, Schlachthof
      23.06. NL-Rotterdam, Roots Open Air
      28.06. DK-Roskilde, Festival
      02.07. D-Halle, Objekt 5
      03.07. D-Marburg, KFZ
      04.07. D-Bremen, Schlachthof
      06.07. D-Duisburg, Traumzeit-Festival

      Jun Miyake
      "Innocent Bossa in the Mirror"
      CD 68.823

      New York Rio Tokyo

      As the release of the album "Mondo Erotica!" (CD 68.820) received very good critics and feedbacks from the side of the media and the public, we decided to release Miyakes latest album "Innocent Bossa in the Mirror" coproduced by Arto Lindsay and with Vinicius Cantuaria on guitar.. Since 1963 Bossa Nova has been a worldwide musical revolution, which started in Rio and which became worldfamous through american artists such as Stan Getz collaborating with Joao Gilberto. Meanwhile old crooners such as Roberto Menescal and Marcos Valle have done Reissues and Remixes and Bossaelectric is booming in London, Berlin and Tokyo. Jun Miyake doesn't try to hit the hip bossa nova spirit by remixing or sampling old records. He does it the same way like Herbie Mann, Bud Shank or Cal Tjader in the early 60ties by working closely with Brazilians which give his music the portuguese touch and the brazilian swing - a good background for his love to Bossa Nova.

      And we are happy to present the great spanish singer Mayte Martin:
      Mayte Martin
      "Querencia"
      CD 68.824

      The album was already nominated for the Latin Grammy as Best Flamenco Album and it is indeed a masterpiece for everybody who loves flamenco. The album originally released through Virgins Spain is now available through Tropical Music for german speaking countries, the BeNeLux and France.
      The CD contains a video file showing Mayte Martin together with the dancer Belen Maya on stage.
      Mayte Martin and Belen Maya will be on stage in Barcelona the 11th and 12th of may and in London at the Barbican on the 15th and 16th of june. Don't miss the shows - at the reknownded Jerez Flamenco Festival the show was one of the biggest successes.

      In may we will release the wedding speed core sound of macedonian sax-player Ferus Mustafov:
      Ferus Mustafov
      "The Heat of Balkan Gypsy Soul"
      CD 68.825
      Here it is, finally. Ferus Mustafov 4 - at its best, hottest, wildest, sweetest. Together with the akkordeon player Milan Zavkov, the drummer Dear Mendu and the bass player Dragan Vucic you can dive deep into balkan wedding sounds.

      Other Tropical Music Artist on the road this summer will be

      Houssaine Kili

      31.05. D-Würzburg Afro Festival
      30.04. D-Essen Grend
      12.07. E-Malaga Playa del Cuervo
      13.07. E-Cartagena Castillo Arabe
      20.07.D-Oberkirch.Festival
      27.07.D-Bad Wildungen
      03.08 D-Suhl
      more dates to come

      Coco Mbassi

      09.05. E-Caceres, WOMAD
      20.05. F-Angoulème Festival Musiques Métisses
      01.06. CH-Biel
      07.06. Berlin, Afrika Gala
      08.06. Dresden, Junge Garde (together with Ladysmith Black Mambazo)
      14.06. Hamm, Fuge
      15.06. Bielefeld, Weltnacht Festival
      29.06. Saulgau
      19.07. Esslingen, Burgfestival