Hello, I'm new...

  • golanv1
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi, my name is Raven, and I'm a 38 year old Black woman in Seattle.

      I have a keen interest in African music, though I know very little--
      the folks I've fallen in love with are Baba Maal, Salif Keita,
      Angelique Kidjo, and a Haitian band called Boukman Expeience.. I'd
      love to hear more stuff, but there's so much of it, I don't know
      where to start! I'm also verrrry interested in the Kora; I play bass
      guitar for a Gothic Rock band , and am thinkinf of attempting to
      learn. If I can find one.

      Anyway.. that was my intro,

      Blessings,

      Raven
    • jack11111010001
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
        Folks, I'm trying to find something on this LP I just picked
        up. It's self-titled, "Orchestra Banowita" and was produced
        in the early 80's by Fred Wesley, who played trombone with
        the James Brown band. Fred also plays trombone on this LP
        along with David Stout, Garnett Brown and Mike Daigeau.
        There's also an alto, a tenor and a baritone sax, three
        trumpets and great drumming on the drum kit by someone named
        Mandebi Etienne.

        It was recorded in Gabon in Africa and some of it is in
        French, some in an African language, possibly Lingala. It is
        similar to Franco and the T.P. OK Jazz, lot's of horns,
        vocal harmonies and great guitar riffs. The label is
        Nkoussou. All I can find on the net is "Fred Wesley".

        Some other names are Moukana Valentin, Moudoumbi Guy, Mbadou
        La Rose, Oyendzet George,Etouguet Charles, Ndjoni Davis,
        Mimi Ley, Stella, Patience, Jimy, Malemba, Landry,
        DeleyKantus and Accompa.

        Accompa is listed as "Chef d'Orchestre"

        The tracks are entitled;

        Mwana a la Source
        Douyatsieemba Batu
        Bibi Cherie
        Pauline
        Emeno

        The front cover is a photo of a modern 5 or 6 story building
        on a grassy knoll with trimmed hedges at the base reading
        "AFRICANI"

        Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?

        [Cross-Posted]
      • Worldmusicportal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
          In a message dated 02/02/2002 2:47:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          golanv1@... writes:

          > I have a keen interest in African music, though I know very little-- I'd
          > love to hear more stuff, but there's so much of it, I don't know where to
          > start! I'm also verrrry interested in the Kora;

          Hi Raven,

          Our Web site has extensive information and biographies of African artists. To
          browse by African country go to:
          http://www.worldmusicportal.com/Artists/African/african_artists.htm

          For kora players, visit the Mali, Gambia and Senegal pages. Enjoy!

          Angel Romero, Content Director/Director de Contenido
          World Music Portal
          Address/Dirección:
          World Music Portal
          PO Box 61952
          Durham, NC 27715-1952
          USA
          Phone/Teléfono: +1-919-416-9454
          Fax: +1-919-286-1788
          E-mail/Correo electrónico: angel@...
          Web sites/Sitios en la Red: www.worldmusicportal.com (English language
          version) & www.musicasdelmundo.org (versión en español)

        • African Spice
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
            I will lookout for one. Anyway I am African promoter in New York and
            I run www.africanspice.com. I am woring on bringing the top Ghanian banjoist
            to New York. As soon as I make contact i will introduce you to him.
            Meanwhile checkout Africanspice.com Internet Radio.
            Thank you for listening to Africanspice.com. Our aim is to bring to listeners
            like you a consistent variety of African music.

            Once again we will strive to provide the best in African entertainment
            to our listeners
            worldwide.

            Solomon
            --
            Webaster
            africanspice@... - email

            ---- "golanv1" <golanv1@...> wrote:
            > Hi, my name is Raven, and I'm a 38 year old Black woman in Seattle.
            >

            > I have a keen interest in African music, though I know very little--
            >
            > the folks I've fallen in love with are Baba Maal, Salif Keita,
            > Angelique Kidjo, and a Haitian band called Boukman Expeience.. I'd
            >
            > love to hear more stuff, but there's so much of it, I don't know
            > where to start! I'm also verrrry interested in the Kora; I play bass
            >
            > guitar for a Gothic Rock band , and am thinkinf of attempting to
            > learn. If I can find one.
            >
            > Anyway.. that was my intro,
            >
            > Blessings,
            >
            > Raven
          • distant_relation
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
              Hi Raven,

              My interest in African music began a little over a year ago and I have
              been soaking it up like a dry sponge soaks up water. I am familiar
              with Baaba Maal and Salif Keita and soon hope to hear Angelique Kidjo.
              I had never heard of Boukman, but hope to hear them soon also. So much
              great music.

              West Africa has given us incredible musicians. One group I would
              suggest to you is Bembeya Jazz. Sonodisc has put out a CD called
              "Bembeya Jazz National". This is one of my personal favorites. I
              believe Mory Kante sings lead on several of the songs. Incredible
              voice. Also features Sekou "Diamond Fingers" Diabate on guitar and I
              believe his sister, Sayon, sings background on some songs.

              Sekou and Sayon Diabate have a sister named Sona and the three of them
              are featured on a Shanachie CD called "Girls of Guinea". I do not much
              care for the title, but the music is incredible! The instrumentals
              (all string) are acoustic, the songs are all written (save one) and
              sung by Sona and the sound quality is audiophile grade. This is one of
              the best sounding CDs ever produced and you can hear why Sekou earned
              the title,"Diamond Fingers". Sona's voice has the timbre of a fine
              viola, at times soft and soothing and at times powerful and resonant.

              Aster Aweke of Ethiopia is another voice that you must hear. I cannot
              understand a word she sings, but her voice conveys intensity and
              complexity that speaks to the that which does not depend on linguistic
              understanding. The one CD that I have and am basing my comments on
              include the songs "Sebebu" (My Excuse) and "Etitite!" (Shiverings!)
              and is entitled, "Aster".

              The group Toure Kunda has an LP that is worth buying a turntable for
              and that is their "Live" LP. I understand that it has been released on
              CD, but with some loss of quality. I haven't heard the CD so I can't
              comment directly on the difference. I mananged to picked an unopened
              copy of the LP for $4 recently and I have seen it for sale in several
              places. The version of Em'ma on that LP is extraordinary and worth 10
              times that price and the rest is great material. I believe it was
              recorded before a home crowd in Ziguinchor, Senegal.

              For Kora music played as backup, but is prominent in places, Ifang
              Bondi, Oumou Sangare, Coumba Sidibe amongst others.

              dr

              --- In african_music@y..., "golanv1" <golanv1@y...> wrote:
              > Hi, my name is Raven, and I'm a 38 year old Black woman in Seattle.
              >
              > I have a keen interest in African music, though I know very
              little--
              > the folks I've fallen in love with are Baba Maal, Salif Keita,
              > Angelique Kidjo, and a Haitian band called Boukman Expeience.. I'd
              > love to hear more stuff, but there's so much of it, I don't know
              > where to start! I'm also verrrry interested in the Kora; I play
              bass
              > guitar for a Gothic Rock band , and am thinkinf of attempting to
              > learn. If I can find one.
              >
              > Anyway.. that was my intro,
              >
              > Blessings,
              >
              > Raven
            • Raven Morgan Leigh
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2002
                Coolness, and nice to meet you, Solomon...

                Raven

                --- African Spice <africanspice@...> wrote:
                > I will lookout for one. [snip]
                > Meanwhile checkout Africanspice.com Internet Radio.
                > Thank you for listening to Africanspice.com.
                > [snip]
                >
                > Solomon
                > --
                > Webaster
                > africanspice@... - email
              • Raven Morgan Leigh
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2002
                  Dear DR..

                  Thanks a lot for the recommendations.. I've got some
                  extra bucks this week, so I'll be shecking some of
                  these out!

                  Blessings,

                  Raven