Re: [african_music] Re: Info Req African fingerstyle Guitar

  • Deolindo Casimiro
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2002
      >--- In african_music@y..., "Kiwi Kid" <aotearon@p...> wrote:
      > > I would be grateful to be advised of name(s) of any African
      > > Fingerstyle Guitarists that have recordings on the market..
      > > Thanks
      > > Ron NZ.

      For Angolan fingerstyle guitarists check out Rui Mingas and Waldemar Bastos.
      While CDs by Mingas would be difficult to find outside of Angola or
      Portugal, Bastos' records should be fairly easy to track in the rest of
      Europe or North America. I don't know how available they are in, say,
      Australia or New Zealand. Bastos' early recordings (in the 80's) are
      particularly significant and his playing is prominent. He prized a nylon
      strings at the time. Later on he settled in the US for a while and
      apparently bought himself an Epiphone solid body, which to an extent reduced
      his attack to the fingerboard.
    • Deolindo Casimiro
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2002
        Klaus,

        While I agree with you that there is a lot of fingerstyle in Zairean rumba,
        Dally Kimoko and Diblo Dibala are not exactly fingerstylists. At least, they
        usually do not record as such. They play lead guitar using plectrums or
        picks. But on Pepe Kalle's "Moyibi" album (with Nyboma)you'll capture
        awesome fingerpicking by Lokassa Ya Mbongo, specially on the title track and
        on "Nina". The producers and arrangers of these songs gave Lokassa enough
        space to demonstrate his powers. I agree with you as for the Malians.

        >From: KSausW <ks@...>
        >To: african_music@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [african_music] Info Req African fingerstyle Guitar
        >Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:32:18 +0100
        >
        >Have a look at the older zaire-rumba guitarists
        > Dally Kimono
        > Diblo Dibala !!
        >the ones that played together with the great Pepe Kalle from the sixties to
        >the eighties. You will find them on Pape (who died some year ago) Kalle�s
        >CD
        >like
        > PEPE KALLE - GIGANT AFRIQUE
        > PEPE KALLE - LARGER THAN LIFE
        > PEPE KALLE - PON MOUN PAKA BOUGE
        > PEPE KALLE & NYBOMA.MADILU - STOP FEU ROUGE - VOISIN
        >

        >Of course you should not miss Habib Koit�, Ali Farka Toure and Lobi Traor�
        >from Mail. Very important for their genre of Mali Blues.
        >
        >Hope that helps...
        >Klaus
        >

        > > I would be grateful to be advised of name(s) of any African
        > > Fingerstyle Guitarists that have recordings on the market..
        > > Thanks
        > > Ron NZ.
        >
        >--
        >Viele Gr��e
        >Klaus Sch�nenberg
        >AFRICA-Iwalewa
        >www.weltmusik.de
      • robert indiazi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2002
          Jambo,

          I think Marie Paul is one of them because of the two
          songs P Mundele and Will Musheni on the CD KO BEBOUT
          CARTE JAUNE.

          Robert Indiazi
          Nairobi.