The scratch orchestra of Kinshasa

  • akmbirch
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2013
      The scratch orchestra of Kinshasa

      The members of the Orchestre Symphonique Kimbanguiste – the world's only all-black orchestra – are self-taught and started out playing homemade instruments. Now the band's founder is to be given a major international accolade

      Nathalie, Josephine, Papy and Josef are adepts of the Congolese art of débrouillardise, a French word that means "making ends meet" or "surviving". For most of the day, they do whatever they must to hustle their daily bread in the Congolese capital Kinshasa, one of the biggest, noisiest and most dysfunctional cities on earth. In the early evening, they set out on a journey that often takes several hours to rehearse with the Orchestre Symphonique Kimbanguiste de Kinshasa (OSK), the only all-black symphony orchestra in the world. There they find release from their daily cares. "When I sing Beethoven's ninth Symphony, it takes me far away," says one of the other singers in the choir.

      More:
      http://j.mp/10V5UPA