Kinshasa minus the music: Portrait of a nation reborn

  • africanmusicgroup
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2013
      The mere mention of the words `DR Congo' almost invariably conjures up images of African music and energetic, waist-gyrating musicians.

      And there is a very good reason for that: the vast state at the heart of Africa is home to such giant entertainers as the late Franco (Luambo Luanzo Makiadi), Tabu Ley and Mbilia Bel, to mention just a few.

      But, though regarded as Africa's foremost exporter of music and composers, DRC is not all about the drum beat and the wail of the guitar string.

      In fact, when you visit the country, your heart and mind racing for an intimate interaction with the rhythm of the nation, you soon realise that the image you have had of the country and its people may have been a bit out of sync with the reality on the ground.

      It gets even worse when, on the streets of the capital Kinshasa, you come face to face with people who have absolutely no idea who the big names you keep mentioning are.

      More:
      http://www.nation.co.ke/Features/DN2/-/957860/1767184/-/d75kd4/-/index.html
    • Morris Kanneh
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2013
        I wish your perception or experience with Congo was not true because my dream of seeing a festivalful Zaire has just been shattered. I had thought all alone that the streets of Kinshasa was fill with festivities with bigh names like Kofi Olomide, Werreson, Bill Clinton at the fuul front. I had thought that night clubs and day clubs were allway bouncing with music all alone. However, all is not lost, hoping that one day I wll be on that land to see the reality on the ground.
        Sekou