Dying Musicians cry out over 1M CD sales drop to 50K

  • akmbirch
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2013
      Dying Musicians cry out over 1M CD sales drop to 50K
      By todaygh.com

      The National Chairman of Ghana Musicians Rights Organisation (GHAMRO,) Mr. Carlos Sakyi, has lamented the increasing rate of piracy in the industry saying it is collapsing Ghana’s music industry.

      “My brother I must tell you today that the perennial piracy problem caused by middlemen in the country has primarily caused untimely death of some of our seasoned musicians as well as rendered aged musicians very poor because their musical products are not being patronised.”

      In an inclusive interview with Today, a worried Carlos Sakyi stressed the urgent need for a new copyright law to take into consideration the revolution in information technology saying that 90 per cent of software sold in the country is pirated products.

      He disclosed that the piracy menace had reduced the average one million copies of CD sales in a year for music producers of his calibre to just 50,000 in recent times. Still, he fears the worse.

      More:
      http://j.mp/101d5HD