Changing perspectives on music

  • africanmusicgroup
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21 3:01 AM
      Changing perspectives on music
      March 20 2013 at 10:19am
      By Helen Herimbi

      The Breathe Sunshine African Music Conference aims to shine the light on our continent’s music in the first week of next month, writes Helen Herimbi.

      It’s a new dawn for African music. At least that’s what the organisers of the Breathe Sunshine African Music Conference are trying to establish. Due to take place over two days at the beginning of next month, the conference will consist of panels, workshops and performances that showcase music from the continent. There will be speakers and workshop conductors from various genres and sectors of music. People with experience on stage as well as behind the scenes.

      “The conference is not just about South Africa,” says Trenton Birch of Black Mango (a company that has organised this conference). “Kenya Music Week is one of our partners and the way that we have set up the organising committee is that everyone comes from different backgrounds and, in some cases, different countries. The industry is so polarised and artists tend to be fixated on trying to tour Europe, but what about touring the rest of Africa? So for this conference we’ve also tried to bring a few delegates from other parts of the continent.”

      “You know how people go to Midem in Cannes?” asks Birch. “We’re hoping to achieve that.”

      The Breathe Sunshine African Music Conference has good timing too. The hugely popular Cape Town Jazz Festival will take place in the first weekend of next month and present workshops throughout the week too. The influx of local and international music lovers in Cape Town during that week will mean that at least more than a few ears will be pleased by the sound of the Breathe Sunshine African Music Conference’s inception.

      http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/music/changing-perspectives-on-music-1.1489354