Hugh Masekela - what I'm thinking about ... a crisis for African culture

  • akmbirch
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2013
      Hugh Masekela - what I'm thinking about ... a crisis for African culture
      Hugh Masekela
      guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 12 March 2013 03.01 EDT

      It is said that 11 of the world's 20 fastest growing economies are in Africa, but when you talk about the economy, who are you talking about? The rich will benefit but the poor will always remain poor. In China, the economy is booming, but the poverty rate there is appalling; the US economy is the biggest in the world, but poverty there is appalling, too. So when you talk to me about the economy, in my mind that translates as "the establishment". The ones who run the economy, the ones who own it, are the ones who benefit from it.

      In my view, Africa's real problems are cultural. In 20 years from now, when people ask my grandchildren who they are, they'll say "it is rumoured that we used to be Africans - long ago". I'm very interested in heritage restoration, and I'm working with a group of people to create a number of academies and performance spaces to encourage native arts and crafts and to explore African history.

      http://j.mp/YrRuc1
    • Gull
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2013
        Director Marquette Williams just launched his fundraising campaign on Indiegogo for his latest film Fatherhood 101.

        It is an eye-opening yet heartwarming documentary that examines the vital role fathers play in nurturing and raising children and the negative impact on families without fathers.

        Check it out, donate if you can. If you can't, we understand-but please push the film/link on your personal social media pages. That alone will help us greatly! Let's get the important message of fatherhood out to the masses. We can't do it without you!

        Thank you again for being apart of the Fatherhood 101 project.

        http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fatherhood101

        Pass it on,

        Gary A.