Protests for the Removal of the Gas Subsidy in Nigeria at the World Bank and International Monetary Fund Locations in Washington, D.C. on January 9th and 13th

  • Harrison Nwozo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2012
      Demonstrations protesting the
      removal of the gas subsidy in Nigeria will take place at the World Bank on
      Monday, January 9th at 11am to 1pm and at the International Monetary
      Fund (IMF) on Friday, January 13th at 10am
      to 2pm in Washington DC
      "Since being elected into
      office, the current Nigerian Government has been extremely harsh and
      insensitive towards the basic needs of its citizens. The Government has turned
      a deaf ear to the cries of Nigerian citizens.   The majority of the
      Nigerian people cannot afford the removal of this gas subsidy and the domino
      effect this will cause (the price increase on other goods and services),"
      Harrison Nwozo, protest organizer said.

      This is a part of the Occupy Nigeria movement (Occupy Nigeria DC) which is a series of protests that started in Nigeria on Monday, January 2nd in response to the gas subsidy removal by Nigerian President, Goodluck
      Jonathan on Sunday, January 1st.

      On Monday, January 9th,
      an indefinite nationwide strike will commence in Nigeria until the gas subsidy
      is reinstated. Protesters in Washington, D.C. are urging the IMF to encourage
      the reinstatement of the subsidy. Recently, the World Bank and IMF advised
      African countries to remove all subsidies to reduce their national debts.

      “We are conducting this protest in Washington, D.C. because
      we want to show our solidarity to our Nigerian brothers and sisters back home.
      The removal of the gas subsidy has not only affected gas prices in Nigeria but has
      caused a chain reaction on the rest of its economy. Nigeria is a nation where
      50% of the people live on less than $2 a day so for the government to not think
      about our unique challenges before this policy was changed is thoughtless and
      inconsiderate,” Chika Uwazie, protest organizer said.

      Protests have also been reported in other countries
      including London.  In addition to the
      reversal of the gas subsidy ban, Nigerians want better infrastructure and the elimination
      of corruption.
      The protest on Monday will begin at 11am with a march at
      McPherson Square to World Bank Headquarters located at 1818 H Street, NW,
      Washington, D.C.   The demonstration will
      end at 1pm. The protest on Friday will begin at 10am at the International
      Monetary Fund located at 700 19th street
      NW with a march to the second International Monetary Fund building at  1900 Pennsylvania Ave NW.

      "As far as Nigeria goes, I have never been able to cast
      a vote. So, what this protest means to me is something very personal. It means
      an opportunity to be part of something bigger than me; an opportunity to stand
      with other Nigerians and stand against EVERYTHING wrong with Nigeria. This, for
      me, is not a choice, it is an obligation," Ifeanyi Nwoko, protest
      organizer said.
      Local protests are being organized by various groups and
      organizations including Let There Be Light In Nigeria - Nigerian Million March
      and African Diaspora Institute.  For more
      information about the protests please contact:

      Harrison
      “Harry Baba” Nwozo
      Executive
      Director, TribeX International
      Tribex2000@...

      Nnamdi F. Akwada
      Executive Director African Diaspora Institute
      www.usafricanculturalfestival.com
      nakwa001@...
      Washington DC Coordinator- Let There Be Light In Nigeria

      Doyin Olagbeji
      Founder
      and Convener Let There Be Light In Nigeria- Nigerian Million March
      www.nigerianmillionmarch.com
      mmmproject@...

      Chika Uwazie
      Youth