Sebastopol, CA: Africa Meets Mississippi Friday Oct. 9

  • uacfestival
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2009
      HI Everyone,

      This should be an amazing concert. I really wanted to put the word out there, as one of the performers, Amadou Camara, is a good friend of ours and was an amazing support to Okili and I, donating two performances to us at both fundraisers we held in support of making Okili FREE. I've gone on line to listen to the music of Marcus James blended with this West African music and it is truley amazing. I encourage ALL to attend. This is a real treat folks.

      ~Sabrina Krauss

      P.S. The show will be video'd, so if you ever wanted to be in the movies...nows your chance! don't be scared.....

      Africa meets Mississippi
      Dance Concert

      live at STUDIO E
      Sebastopol, CA
      Friday, Oct 9, 8 PM

      traditional West African rhythms and instruments
      meets driving North Mississippi Hill Country style blues rock

      MARKUS JAMES and The WASSONRAI

      featuring:
      Karamba Dioubate
      Mamadou Sidibe
      Amadou Camara
      Kounde
      Nick Simmons

      their first West County show in two years, in a unique country setting, with a great sound system and dance floor; this show will be recorded

      In the last year, Markus has again traveled to Mali, where he was the only foreigner to perform at the Ali Farka Toure Festival in Niafounke, had his latest release "Snakeskin Violin" featured on NPR's "All Things Considered", appeared live on House of Blues Radio Hour, and played at festivals including California Worldfest, and coming up, the Chicago World Music Festival.

      About "Snakeskin Violin", recorded in Mali and Mississippi:

      "profound world blues passage...driven by a seductive rhythmic circularity that's a keystone of Malian traditional tunes and Delta blues."
      —BILLBOARD MAGAZINE

      "brooding minimalism to rollicking fusions of African and American sensibilities.
      ...an artist who has done as much as anyone to kick open the doors too long separating American and West African roots music."
      —AFROPOP WORLDWIDE

      "The mix of sounds, instruments, and influences spanning the program is mind-boggling"
      —LIVING BLUES MAGAZINE

      "Africa and Mississippi come together"
      —BLUES REVUE MAGAZINE

      "Snakey"
      —Elwood Blues

      SHOW INFO:

      Friday October 9
      Doors 7:30, Show 8PM

      Tickets $15, Students $10

      STUDIO E
      2249 SCHAEFFER LANE, SEBASTOPOL
      (707) 823-5316

      Take Gravenstein Highway (aka Hwy 116) to Bloomfield Road (southeast of downtown Sebastopol). There's a traffic signal at the "T" intersection. Turn onto Bloomfield Road.

      Travel just under a mile on Bloomfield Road to Cunningham Road (just after Lone Pine Road). Take a left on Cunningham Road.

      Travel 0.3 mile down Cunningham Road to Schaeffer Road. Turn right on Schaeffer Road.

      Travel just under a mile on Schaeffer ROAD to Schaeffer LANE. Look for the red barn on the right (it's right up against the road; Schaeffer LANE is just beyond that [about 1/10 mile], with a not-easy-to-spot sign). Turn left on Schaeffer LANE. Look for the small "STUDIO E" signs. PLEASE RESPECT THE NEIGHBORS, AND DRIVE NO FASTER THAN 15 MPH. Go about 0.2 mile on Schaeffer Lane, and go with the sharp left curve.

      Take a left into first driveway after the hard turn (look for a long barn across apple orchard). CONGRATULATIONS! You made it to Studio E!

      Park in the apple orchard.

      media: please contact Mindy Giles:
      mingiles@...