Help introduce me to North African Music

  • Mwaimba Chileshe
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2001
      Hi all,

      I have been exploring North African music, but unfortunately
      since I am not very familiar with it, I don't know who to
      look for and who is good. I have fallen in love with Setona
      from Sudan, and if anyone knows of anything along those
      lines of deep percussion from North Africa please inform me
      as well as where I may possibly download it from.

      thanks

      Mwaimba

    • Sophie Grauert
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2001
        Dear Mwaimba,
        please check www.piranha.de and find at "records" / "africa"
        e.g. Ali Hassan Kuban (egypt)
        Mahmoud Fadl (Nubia)
        Salamat (Egypt)
        (You also get listening examples.)
        Hope you like it ...
        Best,
        Sophie

        Mwaimba Chileshe wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have been exploring North African music, but unfortunately
        > since I am not very familiar with it, I don't know who to
        > look for and who is good. I have fallen in love with Setona
        > from Sudan, and if anyone knows of anything along those
        > lines of deep percussion from North Africa please inform me
        > as well as where I may possibly download it from.
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > Mwaimba
      • KSausW
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2001
          There is a german language Setona Page at Africa-Iwalewa´s Magazine:

          www.weltmusik.de/iwalewa
          --> Artists --> Setona

          with a bunch of links to some Setona Pages.

          There is a new CD out since Summer 2001.

          All the Best
          Klaus

          --
          Viele Grüße
          Klaus Schönenberg

          ! The World is Music ! World Music !
          # Die Musik: http://www.weltmusik.de
          # Die Kunst: http://www.artistica.de
          # Die Stadt: http://www.lohmar.org

        • aguenaou@club-internet.fr
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
            Hi,

            Here is site dedicated to the Amazigh (Berber) music:
            http://www.azawan.com

            Karim Aguenaou