New Postings at "Likembe": Oliver de Coque & Ebenezer Obey

  • beadlejp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2008
      Dear Friends:

      I've recently added some new music to my audioblog Likembe
      <http://likembe.blogspot.com/> .

      From Memories of Oliver de Coque
      <http://likembe.blogspot.com/2008/07/memories-of-oliver-de-coque.html> :

      ". . .Listening to Oliver de Coque for the first time in 1984, I was
      made aware that there was a whole lot more to Nigerian music than King
      Sunny Adé and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. De Coque, born Oliver Sunday
      Akanite, passed away of a heart attack on Friday, June 20, joining in
      death his colleagues Sonny Okosuns (who died only in May), Stephen
      Osita Osadebe
      <http://likembe.blogspot.com/2007/11/wayward-girls-greediness-and-fancy.\
      html> , Nelly Uchendu
      <http://likembe.blogspot.com/2008/05/nigerias-golden-voice.html> and
      Warrior. With his passing, Nigerian highlife music, on life support for
      the last twenty years, has sustained a mortal blow. It's doubtful that
      anybody, or anything, can take his place. . . "

      From Ebenezer Obey On The Town!
      <http://likembe.blogspot.com/2008/06/ebenezer-obey-on-town.html> :

      ". . .As I promised
      <http://likembe.blogspot.com/2008/06/why-im-ebenezer-man.html> , here is
      the second installment of ground-breaking classic jùjú by the
      great Ebenezer Obey, his LP On The Town (Decca WAPS 30, reissued as
      Obey WAPS), recorded in London in 1970. Here we find the Chief
      Commander and his International Brothers stretching out with a non-stop
      medley on Side 1. Side 2 features two extended cuts. I especially
      enjoyed the highlife 'Ajoyio/Ore Mi Maje Aja'. . ."

      Please feel free to drop by!

      John B.