Nor CA WKSHP: Moustapha Bangoura in town this weekend!!!

  • Leah Schuller
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      See message from Joti below:

      Hi Everyone,

      I think I messed up the dates on the last email. Sunday the 2nd and Monday the 3rd. Sorry for the confusion.

      Please come out and support this amazing artist so that he comes back more often!!! His bio is in the body of this email. Both classes are a short walking distance from the BART.

      Please forward to those who might be interested. Thanks!

      Moustapha Bangoura, former member of Les Ballets Africains, will be teaching classes in the Bay Area on Labor Day weekend. His schedule is as follows:

      Sunday, Sept. 2nd
      Malonga Center, Studio C
      1428 Alice St.

      Monday, Sept. 3rd
      32 Otis St.
      San Francisco
      get directions at citydance.org

      Both of these locations are BART accessible, so no worries about the Bay Bridge closure!

      There will be a class in Chico, CA on Friday, Sept. 7th from 7-8:30pm. If you want info on that class, please email me.

      Santa Cruz Classes

      Saturday, Sept. 8th
      11:30-1pm (beginning level)
      418 Front St.
      Santa Cruz

      Sunday, Sept. 9th
      11:30pm-1pm (mixed levels)
      418 Front St.
      Santa Cruz

      Moustapha's bio follows:

      The internationally acclaimed master dancer, drummer, and choreographer, Moustapha Bangoura, has traveled the globe bringing the colorful musical performance traditions of his homeland to audiences worldwide. Moustapha's mission is to continue to share his expertise while preserving the richness and authenticity of the culture. He is recognized for his thorough and charismatic technique that is deeply rooted in tradition.
      Moustapha was born in 1955 in Conakry, the capital city of Guinea. He is of Baga and Sousou decent. He started dancing and performing at the young age of 13. Moustapha was aggressively recruited into Les Ballets Africains in 1975, where he quickly became principal dancer and drummer and remained with the ballet for 22 years. In 1993 Moustapha founded LE BAGATAE DANCE AND DRUM, an authorized dance and drum school in Conakry.
      Since 1997 Moustapha has been a traveling ambassador for Guinea--independent ly conducting music and dance residencies and master classes throughout Africa, Europe, Australia, and the United States. He is sponsored by the Republic of Guinea' s Ministry of Youth and Culture as an official art and cultural representative. He has worked with numerous arts organizations, professional dance companies, schools and universities including the University of Florida at Gainesville, Illinois Wesleyan University, New World School of the Art in Miami, University of Montana, Lisangua Ya Bato, Tam Tam Mandigue USA, Abalaye African Dance Ensemble of Los Angeles, Coyaba Dance Theatre of Washington, DC, DunDun Dole of Clearwater, Florida and HolyGoat of Chicago.
      Moustapha currently resides in Chicago, where he is Artistic Director with Le Bagatae Dance and Drum Ensemble, and he is also choreographer for Legends of West Africa. He continues to travel and share his knowledge and expertise of traditional dance and drum with students throughout the world.

      For more information, please contact Joti Singh at jotisingh@gmail. com.