Re: [african_music] Kanneh [Was: Farafina Donia News]

  • Morris Kanneh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2007
      Wow! you just gave me a history assignment, however,it is said that "Yelewolo" (born out of oneself or,a real child of whom he claims to be begotten from) can never fail to narrate his "Taleku"(history). So I will labor to say a little about the orgin of Kanneh.

      Anyway, Kanneh is the same as Kante, or a descendant of Sumaguru Kante of the great Mande empire. As you may be aware as the empire spread, people became to assimilate and adopt other cultures which went as far as the way they speak. So I found myself born in Barkiedu town, the largest Mandingo town in Liberia where they refer to Kante as Kanneh, Jabateh as Jawateh, Kamara as Jomanee or Fornigamah, Sherif as Salyfu or Seefay, Keita as Kannegee of Mansally. I could on and on.

      The names you mentioned below may mean very much to me, but I may not know them personally unless I know where they come from. Anyhow I thank you for your communication and I hope it will not end to this because we can learn a lot from one another.

      M. Sekou Kanneh

      Contÿffffe9 Mohamed <wolara2003@...> wrote:
      Mr Kanneh, this time this is not on music line.Please can you tell me the origin of your surname? You may be surprise but pls excuse me if I offend you in whatsoever in my quietude to discover my past.
      Also, if the names may mean something to you:SUMA KEITA ,Mohamed Fengai,Mohamed salisu,junior saffa,Mohamed massaquoi.
      Thanks a lot.

    • Contÿffffe9 Mohamed
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007
        Thank you very much for your reply to wolara .I can see you that you know where you are coming from, and for this I am very proud to meet some of the very rare Africans that knows their origin.( YOU MAY NOT KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING BUT WHERE FROM).
        Once again ,thank you very much and be in touch.
        Me ,I am a SOUMAH from Mandé and the next time we may go in to details.please do not be ,or try to revenge for your ancestors for the throne taken by Sundiata keita.You should know that Soumah is Keita.
        K. I. S. S.(Keita Ibrahima Sory Soumah)