Berkley, CA: Dj Kalil Wilson: This Sat: 3 Bands & Much More: "A Musical Night In Africa"

  • BabaAfrica@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2006
      Dear Friends: You are invited to come enjoy our gala annual tribute to the
      community this Saturday night, with 3 great bands, a drum circle, and DJ
      Kalil. Don't miss the traditional welcoming libation ceremony! Bring an
      instrument and your dancing shoes!
      (And thank you for helping to spreading the word!)
      Peace & Love to You,
      Baba Ken Okulolo

      ALL IN ONE EVENING!
      The 7th Annual "Musical Night in Africa"
      with

      BABA KEN & KOTOJA
      WEST AFRICAN HIGHLIFE BAND
      BABA KEN & AFRO-GROOVE CONNEXION
      DRUM CIRCLE led by POPE FLYNE
      DJ KALIL
      TRADITIONAL LIBATION CEREMONY

      THIS SATURDAY
      DECEMBER 16, 8:00 P.M.
      live at ASHKENAZ in Berkeley
      TIX $15

      Baba Ken & KOTOJA
      (Nigerian Afro-Beat)
      -
      West African Highlife Band
      (Reviving Classic Dance Hits)
      -
      Baba Ken & Afro-Groove ConneXion
      (NEW Improvisations for Deep-Heart Dancing)
      -
      Drum Circle with Master Drummer Pope Flyne
      (Bring Your Favorite Instrument!)
      -
      Traditional Welcoming Libation Ceremony
      -
      DJ Kalil
      (African dance grooves from the creator of ethnomusic.podomatic.com)

      Live at
      ASHKENAZ MUSIC & DANCE COMUNITY CENTER
      1317 San Pablo Avenue at Gilman
      in Berkeley
      510-525-5054
      _www.Ashkenaz.com_ (http://www.ashkenaz.com/)
      ADMISSION $15
      _www.AfricanMusicSource.com_ (http://www.africanmusicsource.com/)
      In what has become a much-anticipated Ashkenaz tradition, December 16 brings
      the 7th Annual Musical Night in Africa, a musical tour of West Africa from
      teeming cities to remote villages, produced each year by Baba Ken Okulolo.
      The events showcases three splendid African bands, including Baba Ken's
      latest project, the Afro-Groove ConneXion; the West African Highlife Band; and
      Baba Ken & KOTOJA. Baba Ken's theme is, "Playing music and dancing together
      rejuvenates our hearts and energizes our continuing quest for world peace and
      justice."
      The evening begins at 8:00 p.m. with a rich set of dance African dance
      grooves from DJ KALIL, an Oakland native with a UCLA degree in ethnomusicology and
      the creator of _www.ethnomusic.podomatic.com_
      (http://www.ethnomusic.podomatic.com/) , which houses a vast collection of rare musical gems.
      At 9:00 Baba Ken leads a traditional African libation ceremony of welcome to
      all, invoking the good spirits who are invited to join us.
      Bring your favorite percussion instrument for the Village Drum Circle led by
      Ghanaian Master Drummer Pope Flyne.
      Baba Ken & Afro-Groove ConneXion, a brand-new, groove-oriented
      improvisational outfit, recently electrified the dance floor at the Fillmore when they
      opened for the Sierra Leone Refugee Allstars. Growing out of free-style studio
      work-outs with some restless, driving young musicians, the tight quintet
      includes Baba Ken, Soji Odukogbe, Gabe Turow, Chris Cox, and Rasaki Aladokun.
      The West African Highlife Band, features master musicians from the bands of
      Fela Kuti, King Sunny Ade, and Hugh Masekela, reviving the infectious
      classic highlife dance hits of Ghana and Nigeria.
      The largest and oldest of the night's bands, the international group Babá
      Ken & KOTOJA, plays funky Afro-beat, juju-jazzy, big-band sounds for dancing
      into the wee hours. The Bay Area's leader in the world beat scene, with
      several national releases and international tours to their credit, KOTOJA marks
      its 20th anniversary this year.
      # # #
      [As always, if you wish to be deleted from our list,
      please let me know at _kaokulolo@..._ (mailto:kaokulolo@...) .]
      Ashkenaz is a non-profit, tax-exempt arts organization
      supported by generous donors, patrons, artists, and staff.
      Ashkenaz is actively seeking funding and volunteer board members.