A night with Lipua Lipua

  • Morris Kanneh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
      A night with Lipua Lipua

      M. Sekou Kanneh

      In 1977 I had the opportunity to see live performance of Orchestra Lipua Lipua, then one of the outstanding bands of Zaire. Those years, the Liberia’s government owned radio station ELBC always rocked the nation with music from Bands like Orchestra VEVE, Kamali, Sosoliso, African Festa and of course the greatest band of all time, T.P.O.K Jazz of Luombo Makiade alas Franco. That night with Lipua Lipua will forever be remembered in my live time.
      The band which was composed then of mostly young fellows with few young lady was touring the West African Sub-Region along with their sponsor, a business man named Abrahima Zonga who we learned had amassed fortune through supermarket business.
      Before the band arrived in Monrovia, almost all of its music were being played on the hourly basic by our only radio station then, as a way of advertising their arrival. we could not wait to see prolific guitarist Mombassa , Niboma and the line up of other guitarists exhibit their talents on this memorable day. Most of all, the golden voices of Kilola, Nzair and Zangbangana could not get of my mind as the day got closer. That was Lipau Lipau of not only Zaire, but Africa.
      My unflinching love for Zaire music and not wanting to be told about how the show went, I got to the E.J Roye theater two hours before time and grab one of the front roll seats to avoid detraction. As we sat to await the commencing of the long awaited party time, we heard a thunderous cheers coming from outside signifying the arrival of the Nissan Coaster bus bringing the band. The MC of the night the late Martin Brown, may his soul rest in perpetual peace, took on to the stage to announce the arrival of the band into the hall.
      “Ladies and gentlemen, we have heard a lot of the band Lipua Lipua, tonight you will have the opportunity to see them perform live to the wee-wee hour” “fasten your seat bet as they take us on a musical tour to Zaire.” As the curtain gave way for the band to take control, the voice of Martin Brown again echoed the hall. “Ladies and gentle, put your hands together in welcoming the great Lipua Lipua of Africa.”
      They began the show with their all time classic “Kamali” which lasted about ten minutes followed by several other music before intermission. Instead of sitting and watching, the band succeeded in keeping the audience on its feet dancing as we were promised by the band. The exciting part was when Mombassa took to radium when singing a song that him praises by Kelola. The audience almost interrupted by rushing to the stage in order to be able to touch him. I still remember that chorus “Mombassa yea, oh oh oh Mombassa yea, Mombassa yo yo oh oh Mombassa yea.”

    • Sharma Lalit
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
        Hi Morris,
        Do you have any recordings with you for those tracks..!!!!

        can you share those with people like me??

        thnx
        lalit sharma