Re: [african_music] Re: Mp3 songs from different African countries

  • anthony kalume
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
      Is there any reason why you need these songs?

      hamjat <hamjat@...> wrote: Is that legal?

      --- In african_music@yahoogroups.com, "Trond"
      wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > Is there anyone who can help me with mp3 songs from 2003-2004
      > by singers from Uganda, Gambia, Seychelles, Comoros, Nigeria,
      > Central African Republic, Burundi or Burkina Faso, please?
      > I would be very happy for some help with this, because I need
      > it for a music presentation where I would like to include as
      > many countries as possible.
      >
      > Please help me!!
      > You can send the mp3 to this e-mail address:
      > petrolema@c...
      > I can send some African music back to you!
      >
      > Best Wishes
      > Trond

    • Jim Murnane
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
        Hi,

        Certainly not for any profit, that's for sure. WYEP is a non-profit located in Pittsburgh. If anything, the intent is to introduce contemporary African pop music to the locals.
        I have a pretty good collection of Fela & various Nigerian highlife music & some older Congolese salsa stuff (Papa Wembe, Marcus M'Vouka, Pamelo Mounk'a, etc.) which is really good, but I'm looking for more recent stuff. Not too interested in Malian & Senegalese music like Youssouf N'Dour, more interested in music from Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Ghana. I don't know too much about music from Kenya, South Africa, but would like to know more about it.

        If there is any concern about legal issues, I could probably get a document from WYEP detailing the non-profit nature of this request.

        Cheers,
        Jim Murnane

      • AFRICAN MUSIC RADIO

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
            Hi,

            I agree. And proprietary attorneys should jump on their bones if they are detected engaging in piracy, whether they are for-profit or non-profit.

            As you know, there is a real dilemma regarding the unauthorized filching of music. Case in point: Several of my friends here in Pittsburgh are musicians, & they don't appreciate being ripped off by pirates. At the same time, they (as well as many other non-musician sorts) are avid collectors, & have obtained music from all sorts of sources. There is a constant winnowing process as people sort through, assess, and communicate their thoughts with others about what really is an avalanche of music.

            Very corrosive & destructive, no doubt, to the big players in the industry, as well as the musicians. But that is the reality.

            Will African musicans be ripped off? Why yes, just like everyone else.

            At the same time great music surfaces, from whatever source.

            Regarding the musicians I'm acquainted with, yes, they've
            lost income from royalties (what little came trickling in), but there has been more exposure, they're doing more gigs & they're traveling more, so that's good. Cash flow is OK, nothing extraordinary.

            Best regards,
            Jim