Highlife Music Transcends--Treat Your Feet this Saturday

  • BabaAfrica@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      “Highlife music was created by those who wanted to rise above the pain and
      suffering—to transcend all evils. We invite you to enjoy and dance to our
      music, which brings a message of love from the African soil.” --Babá Ken
      Okulolo

      SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8
      DANCE TO THE ORIGINAL
      WEST AFRICAN HIGHLIFE BAND
      plus free AFRICAN DANCE LESSON
      Live at
      Ashkenaz
      1317 San Pablo @ Gilman in Berkeley
      (Gilman Street exit from Hwy 80)
      Doors at 8:30 pm. Lesson at 9:00 pm.
      WEST AFRICAN HIGHLIFE BAND at 9:30 pm.
      Tickets $13, STUDENTS with ID $11.
      Showline 510-525-5054 - _www.ashkenaz.com_ (http://www.ashkenaz.com/)
      All ages are welcome, wheelchair access, ample free parking across the
      street.
      Ashkenaz is a non-profit community cultural center.

      "Highlife music ruled the scene during the heady era when national
      independence was achieved by the nations of West Africa. This special band pays
      tribute to its pioneers, with the lilting harmonies, intertwining guitars, and
      infectious rhythms that motivated the feet of a generation of African youth.
      As tradition dictates, each song’s lyrics elaborate a humorous but important
      positive social message to the community. The musicians are each African
      music notables in their own right who have played, toured, and recorded with
      countless distinguished artists, including the late Fela Anikulapo Kuti, King
      Sunny Ade, and Hugh Masekela." --The Trinidad Express

      SOME FUTURE CONCERT DATES
      (mailto:ethnomusicology@...) SUN, OCT 16: WEST AFRICAN HIGHLIFE BAND
      at Bernal Heights Fiesta on the Hill, SF - 2PM
      _www.fiestaonthehill.com/entertainment.html_ (http://www.fiestaonthehill.com/entertainment.html)
      SAT OCT 29: WEST AFRICAN HIGHLIFE BAND at Grass Valley Center for the Arts -
      8PM _www.thecenterforthearts.org/events/05-10-29-highlifeband.htm_
      (http://www.thecenterforthearts.org/events/05-10-29-highlifeband.htm)
      SAT, NOV 19: KOTOJA at ASHKENAZ, Berkeley CA - 9:30PM _www.Ashkenaz.com_
      (http://www.ashkenaz.com/)
      SAT, DEC 10: "A Musical Night in Africa" - WEST AFRICAN HIGHLIFE BAND and
      NIGERIAN BROTHERS at ASHKENAZ, Berkeley CA - 9:30PM _www.Ashkenaz.com_
      (http://www.ashkenaz.com/)
      SAT, DEC 31: WATCH THIS SPACE FOR INFO ON AN INTIMATE NEW YEARS EVE EVENT AT
      A SECRET LOCATION!
      MON, FEB 27: WEST AFRICAN HIGHLIFE BAND at "MUSIC at MEYER" Concert Series,
      Temple Emanu-El, San Francisco CA - 7PM
      _http://www.emanuelsf.org/events_concerts_meyer.htm_ (http://www.emanuelsf.org/events_concerts_meyer.htm)
      (Dates are subject to change.)

      Thank you for helping spread the word!
      If you do not wish to receive notices of African music events,
      please let us know at _kaokulolo@..._ (mailto:kaokulolo@...) .
      _www.AfricanMusicSource.com_ (http://www.AfricanMusicSource.com)