JJC & 419 Squad on the Tim Westwood show (BBC R1) this Friday & other news

  • Ilka Schlockermann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2005
      JJC & 419 Squad News

      ATL
      First of all, sorry to those of you that came to the ŒAfro Hip Hop Intro
      Summer Jam¹ in Atlanta on 1 July expecting to see JJC & 419 Squad perform.
      Due to circumstances beyond our control we were unfortunately unable to make
      it to this show.

      BRITISH MUSEUM
      Thanks to those of you that made it down to the ŒAfrica Lives¹ event at the
      British Museum in London on 26 June. It was a brilliant show, and the first
      time JJC & 419 Squad performed with talking drummer Ayan Ayandosu The 1st
      (who is featured on the new version of ŒEwajo¹). Check out this photo of the
      event:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcafrica/africa05/africa_live6.shtml

      WESTWOOD
      JJC & 419 Squad will be guests on Tim Westwood¹s ŒRap Show¹ on BBC Radio 1
      (97-99 FM) this Friday, 8 July, 9pm ­ 11pm (GMT); we will be on air at
      around 10.30pm. You can also listen to the show live on-line and the listen
      again after the original broadcast by logging on to:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/urban/westwood/
      For more information on Tim Westwood check out:
      http://www.timwestwood.com
      For full information on Radio 1¹s Africa-related programmes please visit:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/africa/africa.shtml

      5 LIVE
      Straight after the Westwood interview we are off to BBC Radio Five Live
      (90.9 FM & 693 AM) where we will be guests on the ŒUp All Night¹ show,
      Saturday, 9 July, 1- 5am (GMT); we will be on air at around 1am. The show
      will go out live from Lagos with JJC & 419 Squad joining in from the London
      studio. Presenter Dotun Adebayo goes back to the country of his birth to
      find out if debt relief and aid to Africa can make a difference. You can
      text your views on this, as well as on JJC & 419 Squad, to 85058 (network
      rates app) or you can email upallnight@... .
      You can also listen to the show live on-line and the listen again after the
      original broadcast by logging on to:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/upallnight.shtml

      AFROPOP
      Afropop is a radio documentary which looks at the the rise of African
      Hip-Hop. Presented by JJC, it consists of four episodes concentrating on
      West, East, Southern and North Africa. First broadcast on the BBC World
      Service, you can now catch it on BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra. One Click on BBC
      Radio 1, the lifestyle show hosted by Miquita Oliver, is broadcasting all
      four episodes as part of its programme. The first episode is still
      available online until 11 July. Go to:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/oneclick/magazine/
      For more information on One Click and when to catch the next episodes:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/oneclick/
      I will advise you of the 1Xtra transmission dates of Afropop as soon as
      possible. In the meantime check out 1Xtra¹s special African programming on:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/africa/
      Also have a peek at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/africa/hiphopinafrica.shtml

      MOONLIGHTING
      This Saturday, 9 July 2005, 10pm ­ 5am, for those of you in London fancying
      a night out, check out Reunion Bash '05 @ Moonlighting Nightclub, 17 Greek
      Street, Soho, London W1D 4DR. Be entertained by DJs PnP Family and others,
      plus a PA by JJC & 419 Squad.
      For directions: http://www.moonlightingnightclub.co.uk

      RISE
      Looking ahead to the weekend after next, it¹s the RISE festival coming up on
      Saturday, 16 July, at Burgess Park, London, SE5, from 12 noon to 8.30 pm.
      Formerly known as the Respect festival, the Mayor of London¹s huge FREE
      anti-racism festival is the largest of its kind in Europe. JJC & 419 Squad
      will be performing with a full live band at 7.10pm on the main stage. Other
      acts on the main stage include Eska, Fundamental, The Mitchell Brothers,
      Terri Walker, Lemar, Goldie Lookin Chain, Kano, Raghav, Modeste Hugues and
      Horace Andy. There will be lots of other attractions including: Crescent
      Stage (music and dance), Big Cuba Fiesta, African Village, Mela Stage,
      Crisis Comedy Marquee, PRS Urban Stage (for emerging and unsigned acts), and
      a DJ Bus.
      For more info see http://www.risefestival.org/

      TIC TAC
      After collaborating with Nigerian duo Maintain and Tanzania¹s R¹n¹B star
      T.i.D., JJC & 419 Squad have now invited Ghanaian hiplife superstar Tic Tac
      to the studio for a collaboration. Tic Tac has of course had a hit with a
      fellow Nigerian artist before: ŒFe Fe Ne Efe¹ with Tony Tetuila. The song
      Tic Tac and JJC & 419 Squad recorded together is called ŒWe Want More¹.
      Look out for previews on our web site soon.
      For more info on Tic Tac please visit: http://www.ilovetictac.com/

      MTV AFRICA
      Please do not forget to keep requesting JJC & 419 Squad¹s music videos,
      especially ŒEwajo¹, on MTV Base Africa. The easiest way to do this is to
      log help with this log on to:
      http://www.mtvbaseafrica.com/
      and fill in the form requesting your favourite JJC & 419 Squad videos. You
      can really make a difference here, so we are urging all our fans to please
      let MTV Base Africa know your thoughts on JJC & 419 Squad. Thanks for your
      support!

      BEGINNER¹S GUIDE
      JJC & 419 Squad¹s Kora award-winning track 'Kilonsele' is one of the 33
      tracks included on a new 3 CD set called ŒBeginner's Guide To Africa¹
      (Nascente/ NSBOX_013). The set has been compiled by Nigel Williamson of The
      Times newspaper and also includes Africando, Thandiswa Mazwai, Cheikh Lo,
      Orchestra Baobab, Rokia Traore and many more. To listen to audio clips of
      all tracks and order your copy go to:
      http://www1.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=93;9;-1;-1&sku=360
      030

      AFRICAN CONNECTION
      We often get approached by up and coming artists, so I thought some of you
      may be interested in this:
      African Connection - BBC New Talent, with Radio 1, 1Xtra and Radio 3 are
      looking for four musicians (soloists, bands or studio based producers) who
      want to take their music in a new direction, for a one-off opportunity to
      work with some of the very best African acts around.
      The four finalists will take part in master classes with major artists. As
      well as an in-depth exploration of African sounds, techniques, rhythms,
      lyrics and instruments you'll make a piece of music with one of the
      musicians and record it with a top producer. The best of these recordings
      will then be played on-air.
      For more information visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/newtalent/africanconnection/

      SHOREDITCH
      JJC & 419 Squad will be performing on 21 August a festival called
      ŒShoreditch: Africa 05¹ featuring the extraordinary diversity of African
      culture which takes place in Haggerston Park, Hackney, London (1pm ­ 7pm).
      The organisers want to involve as much of the Hackney community as possible.
      There will be a stage called ŒHackney¹s Finest¹ featuring the most promising
      African acts from bands, dance troupes to solo artists and much more,
      performing everything and anything from circus tricks, street dance, Djembe
      drumming, spoken word to Gospel. So if you are an African act based in
      Hackney (or the East End of London) you should contact Tat Gray at Hatch
      Events: 020 7553 4475 or tat@...

      Until next time, keep spreading the word!

      ILKA

      --
      Ilka Schlockermann

      BACKBONE MUSIC
      PO Box 31876
      London SE17 2ZB
      UK

      EMAIL: ilka@...
      WEB: http://www.jjc2uk.com

      Check out JJC¹s African hip-hop column on BBC Radio 3¹s AFRICA ON YOUR
      STREET web site:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/africaonyourstreet/jjc.shtml