US Based Soukous Bands

  • Kof
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2004
      Are there any Soukous bands in the US apart from the Soukous Stars who
      by the way are very good?

      Kofi
    • yves francois
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2005
        To Kof (and anyone else interested in this), I know I
        am a month or two late, but in the 1990's Mantuila had
        an excellent soukous band here in Chicago (Simon
        Kashama a vocalist/guitarist who occasionally plays in
        my band Rocambu Jazz used to play in Mantuila's bands
        in the middle 1990's as the rhythm guitarist).
        Mantuila's band could deliver very heavy dance music,
        and it was all live, do a search on Google, he still
        shows up, though I have not heard about any concerts
        in years in Chicago( but, unfortunately, I do not know
        of any recordings issued by that group, or them
        playing since about 1999), hope this helps, Yves
        Francois

      • shaheera@worldmusic.freeserve.co.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2005
          thanks for this

          Shaheera Asante

          Presenter, Late Junction
          BBC Radio 3
          Click to connect and listen to BBC Radio 3, the UK's leading cultural broadcaster - including live classical, jazz, world music and drama: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/

          Writer/Presenter
          The Goddess
          BBC World Service four-part series in search of goddesses from many religious cultures and different continents. Explores: what does it mean for both women and men to worship a goddess, rather than a male god? http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/features/goddess/

          Writer/Host
          Africaonyourstreet
          www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/africaonyourstreet