RE: [african_music] Can you help me identify this song? Congolese

  • Katya
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2003
      Hey! Maybe you can try to put this file on
      The website? I nmp3 format??? So everyone can listen. Aaaand do you knwo
      which of african languages is it?

      By the way... i am thinking maybe we all should make something like ftp
      server for african music with limited access? Because in my country i
      have a
      problem with african music. (I live in Latvia). For example Lokua
      Kanza's I found only one album.
      In MP3 format I have about 3 albums I think.

      So idea of FTP would be share with African music (and maybe not only
      music) inbetween ourselves???

      Katya

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2004
        I have a song on my hard drive that I can't seem to find in my CD or LP
        collection. I burn CDRs with various songs to take to work. One CD I
        burned about a year ago and gave away came back to me with a request for
        song titles and artists. I recognized all but this one song and now it
        is bugging the heck out of me and just have to find out who it is. It's
        a great song and the audio quality is very good.

        It sounds like Mbilia Bel singing the female part. The male voice is the
        main singer, though. Tabu Ley?

        It is 7:06 in length and it opens with a simple hand drum beat drum
        beat, then a guitar comes in with a simple four note riff, then comes
        the real identifier, a male breathy voice saying "Polkaaa... ummmmm".
        Then some spoken words over a synthesizer. Then comes the female voice.

        She starts out singing a refrain,

        ""Mota koka na nsamba kosu ki...(more stuff I can't make out)"

        Then the male voice comes in with what sounds like,

        "yeah yeah yay, bane mon dia, na lingi ona motey mya lukusu
        mimi ba koba koluka ba kabo la koyo ya kaina yo, poppeeeEEE"

        (female refrain)

        "kumwa kina zai na dula yo na nzela yami no
        bako tongo congo pamba jamais bako longa
        passé beau spécial"

        (female refrain)

        Then the male voice starts solo again,

        "saki bango peba lu kaka como soyay penayo et baile mundia
        batika popo man danse songi songi pelicuña et son makabo"

        (female refrain)

        Both voices join together with,

        "kumbele kumbele, papa
        kumbele kumbele, mama
        kumbele kumbele, papa
        kumbele kumbele, mama"

        There's more but that should be enough to identify it.

        Thanks,
        Jack
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
          Hello, Katya, and thanks so much for the reply. I hope all is well with you.

          I will try to put up an mp3 file up somewhere and I will let you know
          when and where it can be found.

          I believe the language is Lingala and the sound is very much like that
          of Mbilia Bel and Tabu Ley of the 80's or 90's.

          The idea of an ftp server for african music sounds good, but who would
          host such a thing? It would cost money. And there is the problem of
          copyright infringement.

          Jack