Re: here we are

  • Raul Rothblatt
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Luckily, there are many African musicians who are using African instruments
      and ideas in their music. I know in New York there are tons of musicians from
      Mali and Guinea who are using the kora, balafon, tambin and ngoni in a wide
      range of music. Sometimes music may seem like regular pop music but is
      really Mande music in a new guise. In Conakry, I heard a lot of exciting music
      that kept true to Mande traditions, including Petit Conde, who is personally
      responsible for this revival. I also saw a bunch of young Kouyates doing
      fantastic things, like combining traditional tunes with Jimi Hendrix.

      I think American and European musicians are getting to be more
      sophisticated in their understanding of African music. At least I hope so,
      because I try to combine traditional balafon playing with my music, which also
      uses Hungarian folk and jazz elements. (see www.JumbieRecords.com)

      But I am looking for more Fula (Peul) and Hausa musicians, besides Fula
      Flute (with Sylvain Leroux and Bah Bailo at http://www.fulaflute.net).

      Oh, and I can't fail to mention the Sosso Bala, the oldest balafon in the world,
      and probably the oldest instrument in Africa. The Kouyate family in
      Niagassola, Guinea has been protecting and playing this instrument for 800
      year. This instrument used to belong to Sundiata in the 1300s! (see http://
      www.JumbieRecords.com/sossobala.html)

      Sincerely,
      Raul "Abou Fote" Rothblatt
      www.JumbieRecords.com

      --- In african_music@yahoogroups.com, david david <tandymusica@y...>
      wrote:
      > I want any musician in africa to carry on and try to create something unique.
      > Most of the africans are affected by the zaire music style. It is something
      good to create something not discovered before.
      > I myself as a young musician on his first way , become interested on hearing
      strange tunes from unfamiliar musical instruments.
      > In Sudan we have got many tribes having special musical instruments. the
      zandese people in equatoria have got the POLYMBO. The baggara have got
      a wind instrument called the WAZA. In Wau in Bahrel ghazal region you find
      the RONGOW. In juba you can find the ADONGUW.
      > What i want to say that we can use our caltural musical instruments and
      create new style of music . I think many will be affected by our hidden musical
      instruments and styles.