Re: [african_music] New CD - 1940's Uraban Music Of Liberia & Ghana

  • The Tribesman
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2003
      Guthrie Alberts,

      I am the radio DJ from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I
      got the Cd you sent to me for promotion on my show. I
      played it on my show last Tuesday Nove 18 and got a
      few phone calls. The music on this Cd is very
      nostalgic and I cannot believe the similarities with
      the old calypso from the islands! It was like going
      back in history orally and to know that this music was
      recorded about 50yrs ago is amazing. Three cheers to
      your grand uncle.

      I'll sample some more songs from the cd on my show in
      due time. As a DJ I love the liner notes! Great job.

      ASIKO AFRICA AIRS 8PM-9PM MOUNTAIN TIME EVERY TUESDAY
      ON CJSR FM 88.5 HERE IN EDMONTON WITH YOUR HOST THE
      ORIGINAL TRIBESMAN. YOU CAN LISTEN TO CJSR ON THE WEB
      AT

      WWW.CJSR.COM

      Make an effort to listen.

      Bongbiemi (T.O.T)

      --- G Alberts <solarlei@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      Dear African Music Lovers!

      I have just released an exciting new CD called
      "Songs of the African Coast: Cafe Music of Liberia and
      Ghana."

      This CD includes vintage music recorded by my great
      uncle, Arthur Alberts, in the 1940's during
      extensive field recording sessions in West Africa.
      Arthur was one of the best known musicologists of his
      day and was recently referenced in Martin Scorsese's
      "The Blues" documentary on PBS. His music has also
      been featured in the Library's of Congress's
      Endangered Music program.

      Music on the CD I have released has not been heard
      in nearly 50 years and includes folk, rhumba, calypso
      and other urban African music from Liberia and Ghana
      (at the time called the Gold Coast). This CD comes
      with
      extensive liner notes from the original release.

      More details on the CD and a play list are available
      at:

      www.geocities.com/africancafemusic/yarngo.html

      Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any
      questions. I look forward to your feedback!

      If you love "real" music and wants the origins of
      American and Caribbean music then you will love this
      CD!

      Sincerely,
      Guthrie Alberts
    • G Alberts
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2003
        Thanks for the positive feedback and also for playing
        it on your program!

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree