African hip-hop

  • balbs26
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2003
      HI --

      I am a new member to the group but have been a long time African
      music fan. Recently, a friend gave me a copy of Africa Raps!
      (Trikont,) and I loved it. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to
      get much information about African hip hop here in NY (or at least I
      have not found it yet). I know that a lot of stuff is coming out of
      Dakar, but mostly on tape and frequently locally.

      I tend to like the songs that include at least some of the
      traditional instruments or rhythms, not the more pop-sounding stuff.
      It amazes me how hard it is to find even some of the bigger names
      like Positive Black Soul. Does anyone have suggestions for groups I
      should check into as well as places to purchase it in NY? I know
      Stern's Music website but any retail stores?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      best,
      Josh
    • David N
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2003
        There is a Stern's store in Tribeca at Warren Street, but I don't know if
        Stern's carries that music or not.
        Try www.mzibo.net for information and purchase of Tanzanian music. There is
        a U.S. produced CD called " Bongo Blastin' " that is a compilation of music
        you can hear and download at mzibonet. I know that a number of African
        record stores here carry it.
        You can get info and some links at www.africanhiphop.com/
        You can also buy from Panafrican Allstars at www.panafricanallstars.com or
        call them for information (I recommend this) at (404)-684)-9955.
        You can get some, but not all, of the new Zambian music from the Mondo Music
        label from www.zambianmusic.com/
        David N.