New Member Introduction

  • Majemite Kayode
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2003
      I am Kayode from Warri, Delta State and Abeokota Ogun
      State of Nigeria. I'm an orphan from a polygamous
      home. My childhood and school life was a though
      experience but for my mum who was always radiating
      Love and support.

      I'm the Originator of Saxtruj music, a fusion of
      Saxophone and Trumpet in Juju music enfiched with the
      traditional cultural music of the people in the Niger
      Delta and the Yoruba's of Southern Nigeria. My main
      objective is to unite my country with my music by
      singing in different languages and interpreting same
      to all because one of the problems of misunderstanding
      is the difference in language among the various
      nations in my country. I know it is a long process,
      but I will get there. I will tell you more about my
      music in my next mail, watchout. Longlive African
      Music

      yours sincerely,
      Sir K Saxtruj Music.
    • Angola Alimento de Corpo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 14, 2004
        bom dia! good morning!
        ta tudo legal?

        yes i am new and i c that i have to make an intro of my self
        ok. but a small one *:)

        my name is Nemanja. i have many nicknames like Nemanjah or Coqueiro or what
        ever as long it isnt a bad word i dont mind..
        i'm from a small country in Europe called Serbia. It used to b called
        Yugoslavia witch i like more. Momenterely there is a war over here on
        Kosovo and i think we are having wars since 1990 (and before) and havent
        stoped since then. i dont why but many other countrys and cultures wants
        this small peace of land. crazy people. crazy. but people here are very
        nice and positive no mather what and live for the day. misery and low
        standards,wars.. we dont care cause we have eachothers and music and i'm a
        big lover of african and latino america instruments/music/dances/history...
        i'm learning all the time for some time to play the berimbao, djembe,
        atabaque, conga, reco reco, agogo, pandeiro...
        also did Selector DJ music on the local radio, love roots reggae music .
        as for drums i've heard aloth of it from other countrys and cultures from
        many parts of the world and realy good stuff from my countrys and around
        like turkey they some realy good druming music and many more places of
        course.
        i also do Capoeira Angola tradicional afro-brasilian dance martial art. Very
        beautiful. muito bonito
        for some time i'm into making instruments and as for Berimbaos i have a good
        teacher, my Capoeira Professor Marquinho realy good good exeperience. realy
        good sound.
        as for druming i'm trying to make an atabaque and maybe thats one of the
        reasons i've joined the list cause i want to get in touch with people who
        are into making instruments and hear their exeperience cause here there is
        no one that makes drums here and i would love to learn a skill like that.
        Brother of my father is a very skillfull oldschool Gusla maker. its a
        tradicional Serbian instrument. and he will help me with the wood
        selection. but i still need some info and any of it would b usefull.
        for a long time i've been planing to go Brasil and everything goes well (the
        money of course) i'm probably gonna go this summer and try to find someone
        to show me some of the making skills.
        i make my living in doing construction work or what ever is needed on high
        altitutes like hanging on one rope on 100m and working all kinda of stuff.
        very fun and full of energy and andrenalin work. better than being stuck in
        a office and being a slave of the system yea yea.

        i told i'm gonna write a small history of me but it got to long. gotta stop

        muito obrigado *:)

        axe

        Coqueiro

        --
        Love Peace And Good Vibes NemanJaH
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 22, 2009
          Hi! My name is Annette and I am married to a musician from W. Africa. We live in New York and Tampa with our two sons Gabriel and Nicolas. I am new to this group and joined so as to promote and share Baye's music as well as learn from and share what others are contributing.

          Originally from Bamako, Mali, Baye Kouyate descends from an 800-year old lineage of Griots, societally ingrained musicians who recount histories and settle disputes. Recently, Baye has just returned astounding audiences at the Rochester Jazz Festival as well as sharing the stage with well known artists such as Amadou et Mariam, Cheick Tidiane Seck, and Vieux Farka Toure.

          We are excited about two things today, his upcoming performance at Joe's Pub on August 12th and our trip to MALI in January for the desert festival. If anyone is going we would love to connect.