4396Fri & Sat 09/13-14 Dr Martin "Martino" Atangana's Funeral

  • P. Sylvie Yonke
    Sep 11, 2013
      Important Funeral For Our Brother, Professor, Artist And Friend, Dr Martin "martino" Atangana. Friday And Saturday September 13th And 14th 2013. Please Come All To Honor This Great Cameroonian And African Man

      Dear All,
      As requested, I am forwarding below provisional information regarding Martino's funeral program on behalf of Lois, his widow.

      Friday 13 September 2013
      4pm - 7pm: Viewing
      Frank R Bell Funeral's Home
      536 Sterling Place, Brooklyn, NY 11238 - Tel.: +1718-399-2500
      (Between Classon & Washington Avenues. Trains to: S to Park
      Pl.; 2, or 3 to Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum; 2, 3, 4, or 5 to Franklin
      Ave)
      7pm - 8pm: Short service and testimonies

      Saturday 14 September 2013
      12pm - 1pm: Open casket
      St Teresa of Avila R C Church
      563 Sterling Place, Brooklyn, NY 11238-4801 – Tel.: +1-718-622-6500
      (Opposite the Funeral Home mentioned above).
      1pm - 2:30pm: Mass
      From 2:30pm: Repass in the church's basement - Celebration of
      Martino's life Unfortunately, I can't access all my contacts from my
      yahoo account. I would be grateful if you could kindly circulate this
      information as deemed helpful.
      May Martino’s soul rest in peace
      Dear All,
      It is with pain and sorrow that we reach out to you, and that we call upon each and everyone, as we plan to get together for vibrant
      farewell to Martino.

      Martin René ATANGANA 11-11-1958 † 31-08-2013
      A valued Cameroonian, a beloved New Yorker and African, Martino touched the lives of so many people and was dear to all.

      A fund has been set up for Martino. Part of it will cover
      expenses related function organized by the Cameroonian community and
      friends of Martino in the evening of Saturday, 14th September 2013,
      immediately following the service starting with an open casket ceremony
      (12 noon to 1 pm) at the St Teresa of Avila Roman Catholic Church on 563 Sterling Place, Brooklyn, NY 11238. The rest of contributions will be
      donated to Martino's widow and his only son
      all contributions are welcome and much appreciated.
      Those who wish to donate can do so through the Chase bank as follows:

      Bank: J P Morgan Chase
      Account number: 262031972
      Routing number: 021000021
      Name: Pauline Mveng Farrington
      All donations will be accounted for thanks to a documented process. A report will be circulated.

      Tentative arrangements communicated so far are being
      finalized. In this regard, the address of the hall where the function on Saturday evening will take place will be provided when the final
      programme is circulated to all early next week.
      For more information, please feel free to contact:
      Pauline Mveng Farrington : +1-917-862-4356; martinoinmemoriam@... and pmfarrington@... or
      Jean-Victor Nkolo, +1-917-318-3603; nkolo@... or jvnkolo@...

      May Martino's soul rest in eternal peace
      Warmest regards, on behalf of the Martino In Memoriam Organizing Committee
      Ms. Pauline Mveng Farrington, Secretary and Treasurer
      Mr. Jean-Victor Nkolo, Chair
      martinoinmemoriam@...
      Martin "Martino" Atangana
      Biography

      One of the most talented African guitarists today, Martin
      Atangana, also known as "Martino" Atangana, was born and raised in
      Cameroon, Central Africa. It was there that he began his musical career
      in the late 1970s, playing with church and high school bands. In the
      early 1980s, he started performing with professional artists such as
      Betty BETTY, Dyna BELL, Ali BABA, Ben DECCA, "Ange" EBOGO, Emile KANGUE, Théo-Blaise KOUNKOU, Pierre de MOUSSY, Elie-Martin MBA, Anne-Marie
      NDZIE, MEKONGO PRESIDENT, and Johnny TEZANO, to name a few.

      In 1986 he
      toured with Manu Dibango of Soul Makossa fame.
      During the same year, Martino moved to France to pursue
      graduate studies. While there, he played on Paul Simon's album The
      Rhythm of the Saints in 1990, and worked with Jean-Luc Ponty from 1991
      to 1993, recording two of Ponty's albums, Tchokola and No Absolute Time, as well as touring with him in North America and Europe. During his
      stay in France, Martino also performed with Sorry BAMBA, Mony BILLE, Sam FANTOMAS, Teta LANDO, Daddy MIMBO, ZAO, and many others, and recorded
      with J.B. AKAMBA (Mbazoa), Uta BELLA (Eyong), Henri DIKONGUE (Wa), Sissi DIPOKO (Munam), Douglas MBIDA (Cameroon, and Za më yën), Georges SEBA
      (Freedom), Manuel WANDJI (Radio Trottoir), and Brice WASSY (N'ga Funk).

      Martino left Paris in 1994, settling in New York. He began
      working with Ndedi EYANGO, Nahawa DOUMBIA, Kasse MADY and many New York
      based bands. On numerous occasions he played at Disney World (Orlando,
      Florida) with WASA and WASSALOU. Since moving in New York, he has
      recorded with Emperor ADICHIE (Funk in the Jungle; No more Wahala),
      Azouhouni ADOU (I Gotta Go), Dany B (Nziik), Djoss DIABATE (Haklima),
      Henri DIKONGUE (C'est la vie), EDIMO (Moudiki), Dennis FERRER (Funu),
      Hassan HAKMOUN (The Gift), Graham HAWTHORNE (Mbalafunk), Shannon JACKSON (What Spirit Say), Sylvana MAGDA (Enzila), C.K. MAN (Timeless
      Highlife), Francis MBAPPE (Need Somebody), and Meg MONTGOMERY (Le
      Collage).
      For the past few years Martino Atangana and African Blue Note have been "wowing" New York metro area audiences at venues such as BAM
      Café, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Lincoln Center,
      Central Park, Lion's Den, Mondo Cane, Museum for African Art, New Jersey Performing Art Center (NJPAC), Queens Public Library, Riverbank State
      Park, and York College of the City University of New York.

      The band
      features Martino ATANGANA on guitar and vocal, Azouhouni ADOU from Côte
      d'Ivoire on keyboards and vocal, Jojo KUO from Cameroon on drums,
      Mamadou BA f rom Senegal on bass, and Todd HORTON from the United States on trumpet and flugelhorn. They can be seen at the Zinc Bar (90 Houston St. in Manhattan) the last Friday of every month, and Makeda ((338
      George Street, New Brunswick, NJ) the second Friday of each month.

      Martino has released two solo albums, Oyenga Fam (2003) and
      Mot Songo (2005). Both albums were recorded with African Blue Note. They are now available.
      OYENGA FAM:
      http://cdbaby.com/cd/atangana
      MOT SONGO:
      http://cdbaby.com/cd/atangana2
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI7EPQ/ref=cm_taf_see_more_cs/103-4447073-1206228?n=5174
      (also for Mot Songo)
      TOWER RECORDS (Broadway and 66th street, NYC)
      "With credentials such as having played on Paul
      Simon's album The Rhythm of the Saints in 1990, and
      having worked with Jean-Luc Ponty from 1991 to 1993,
      recording two of Ponty's albums, guitarist Martino
      Atangana is undoubtedly one of the most talented and
      exciting artists making waves on the Afropop scene
      today." (CD Baby)
      "A.B.N is ... one of the leading groups in a recent
      movement in New York which has further developed and
      exposed the relationship between African and American
      musical styles." (Nathalie CHARLES, Francophonie New
      York).
      "I expected good musicianship and I got it just right
      with this CD [Mot Songo]. I am inspired to play music
      even more after listening to good Afro pop-fusion as
      found with this CD. The bass players are my driving
      fervent search for this music, being a bassist myself
      from time memorial, I feel I am on the right path now,
      thanks to Martin" (Marco N topo)
      Oyenga Fam is now at available at http://cdbaby.com/cd/atangana
      http://www.atangana.com/pages/bio.htm

      Some reactions and testimonies in facebook:
      Kaïssa Doumbè Moulongo
      I am deeply saddened by the passing of my beloved friend and bro
      guitarist Dr Martin Atangana, AKA "Martino". One of a kind man. Always
      smiling, happy and positive. Thank you "Atanganiste" for the music, the
      joy... My heart aches. You will be so missed... RIP.
      Fatima Von
      R.I.P. Martino. We miss you and I am in shock. Life is so fragile,
      always over too sudden. Thank you for this beautiful music and the love
      you gave us.
      Yorgos Maniatis That's tragic...i'm speechless...
      Kaïssa Doumbè Moulongo Our beloved Martino...
      Meg Montgomery He defines "distinguished"
      Ngoyoño Moala RIP
      Paule-Sylvie Yonke un grand homme, intellectuel,
      artiste, professeur, humain, gentil, humble, modere, positif et toujours souriant, qui a eu la vision de creer le seul groupe musical permanent
      camerounais et africain de renommee de new york qui dure depuis des
      annees, african blue note. que son ame repose en paix parfaite, et
      grandes condoleances a sa famille. nous sommes tous sous le choc de
      cette nouvelle aussi soudaine que triste.
      Camille Abanda Zeyang bel homage paule sylvie c est lui meme
      Ronnie Roc Omg RIP!!! An amazing musician we played at Boom together many years ago !!! RIP!!
      Camille Abanda Zeyang peace bro he was a good guy
      Jojo Tongo R.I.P Martino, we'll always remember you
      Constance Lydie Martino Atangana...il est parti... Il a vecu sa vie avec beaucoup de grace...c'etait une joie de le connaitre.
      Camille Abanda Zeyang jojo i am so down..
      Jojo Tongo Et moi donc. Kaïssa était en larmes en m'annonçant la triste nouvelle
      Camille Abanda Zeyang je suis comme elle grand frere aide moi suis pas bien
      Michelle McKay I cannot believe this...I am so grateful now that I was able to see him back in June after not seeing him for a
      couple of years after moving to California. Too young...
      Valtinho Anastacio All my respects to the family of Dr. Martino Atangana, we lost a great man a musician....RIP my friend.
      Jojo Tongo Je tremble depuis cette annonce, toujours très toumenté. Il est dans un monde meilleur désormais, plus de souffrance pour lui
      Nicola Stemmer Beautiful human being and musician!!! Tu vas beaucoup nous manquer !!!
      Ibiwunmi Olaiya no no no..say it isn't so.. say it isn't so....
      Othman Babba Dieu rappelle à lui, e, premier, les
      meilleurs d'entre nous ! Sincère condoléances aux parents, amis et
      collègues du cher et regretté ...
      JC Maillard so sad!!!!!!!!! :-((((((( :-((((((((( :-((((((((
      Angel Yonke the lord brought him back home to help the
      angels create and perform even more beautiful music in heaven. let's
      wipe our tears and listen to the music. see you later martino always in
      our
      Ida Tankou Du courage Chere Amie. Martino Thanks for being who you were, a beautiful soul.
      Florence Rome RIP sir.
      Faveur DeDieu RIP Brother
      Sarah Ndoumbe Soue Sorry for your loss
      Chantal Doumbè-Moulongo Que le Seigneur console son épouse et toute sa famille.
      Julien Mbia mamaéééé !
      the guy played and composed incredible music in your albums.
      Julien Mbia i remembered the title 'to ndje" ...
      Salvador Ngalle Assiah sista, i enjoyed knowing him as
      he played with Fred and maybe you when i visited NY. Death IS ALWAYS a
      reminder that we should work on or salvation with fear and trembly every day,like our Christ mentioned, if anything it humbles us.
      Parfait Tabapsi ah sorry sorry sorry! this great
      guitarist passed away? I remember his participation in the album "Rythm
      of then saints" of Paul Simon and "Tchokola" of Jean-Luc Ponty some 22
      years ago. he also wrote a book that I didn't read. rest in peace my
      dear. Africa will not ever forget your implication in making its arts
      more respectful.
      Nzaken David Paix a son ame mon tres cher frere Martino tu resteras tjrs grave a ma memoire depuis Mbalmayao jusqu'a NY tu as
      ete tjrs le meme tjrs souriant. We will miss you.
      Areley Missipo Tongo-mpondo Un grand enseignant, homme des Arts et des lettres que perd le Cameroun...
      ..and more...

      GONE TOO SOON AT THE YOUNG AGE OF 55, LEAVING BEHIND A WIFE AND A TEENAGE
      SON. REST IN PERFECT PEACE MARTINO, AND DEEP CONDOLENCES TO YOUR FAMILY. PLEASE COME IN GREAT NUMBERS TO MARTINO'S FUNERAL, CONTRIBUTE TO THE
      FUNDS NEEDED, AND LET'S SEND OUR BROTHER HOME WITH LOVE AND HONOR.

      ©2013 Balafon Communications | New York, NY 10033 Powered by Mad Mimi ®

      "You cannot plow a field by turning it over in your mind" Unknown
      Paule-Sylvie Yonke
      Balafon Communications
      Re-branding the image of Africa
      212-510-8512