FEBRUARY AFRICAN EVENTS

  • africakabisa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
      It has been a challenging winter here in the Boston area! Snow storms twice prevented me from coming to the radio station (thanks to Pam Spencer from Jam Session for filling in with her reggae/calypso mix). And, WMBR has been having problems this past week with our web server. Our server is currently down, preventing streaming and archiving, but we hope that this problem will be resolved soon. Let's hope for better weather and fewer technical obstacles in February!

      In the meantime, here is a list of Feburary African events.

      FEBRUARY

      FRI 2/6 - SUN 2/15 -- AFRICAN FILM FESTIVAL -- Musem of Fine Arts -- Boston

      SAT 2/7 -- LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO (South Africa) -- Sanders Theatre -- Cambridge
      Presented by www.worldmusic.org

      FRI 2/13 -- ROKIA TRAORE (Mali) -- Somerville Theatre -- Somerville
      Presented by www.worldmusic.org

      FRI 2/13 -- VUSI MAHLASELA (South Africa) -- Regattabar Jazz Club -- Cambridge
      At the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square. www.regattabarjazz.com

      FRI 2/20 - SUN 2/22 -- AFRICA BUSINESS CONFERENCE -- Harvard Business School -- Allston
      Presented by HBS' Africa Business Club. This year's theme is "Africa on the move: Transforming quick wins into lasting change." More info: abcconference@...

      ******************
      WMBR 88.1 FM
      Africa Kabisa w/ DJ Julia
      Boston's African Music Radio Show
      Sundays 4-6pm EST (1600-1800h)
      Broadcasting at 88.1fm and streaming live at
      www.wmbr.org
      Listener request line: 617-253-8810
      Calendar and playlists:
      http://www.africakabisa.org
      africakabisa@...

    • africakabisa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2011
        Here are some events to entice you to come out even in February weather! (As for me, I'll be in Florida the last weekend of February, but will have a substitute host that day for Africa Kabisa.)

        FEBRUARY

        THU 2/3 -- AFROFUNK DANCE PARTY -- Cantab Lounge -- Cambridge
        The Cantab Lounge  (738 Mass Ave.) in Central Square is kicking off a monthly Afrofunk Dance Party from 8pm - midnite, featuring live African music, on the first Thursday of every month. This first event features Heder Tsinine, Kina Zori, Tuli Kuta, and the Forces of Nature and will include artists from Ghana, Mozambique, and South Africa. Admission is $5.00.

        SAT 2/19 -- CHIWONISO (Zimbabwe) -- Johnny D's -- Somerville
        Zimbabwe's Chiwoniso Maraire is a singer, songwriter, and champion of mbira music (she is the daughter of mbira master Dumisani Maraire). She will be performing from 7:30pm - 10pm.

        SUN 2/20 -- NAATANGUE AFRICAN BEAT CONCERT (Senegal) -- YMCA -- Cambridge
        Mamdou Lynx Ndiaye, ethnomusicologist and master drummer from Senegal, presents the Naatangue African Beat Concert featuring dance and drum performed by talented local artists and guests from Africa. Show begins at 8pm at the Cambridge YMCA (820 Mass Ave). Tickets $10.

        TUE 2/22 -- CHICAGO AFROBEAT PROJECT -- Johnny D's -- Somerville
        Chicago Afrobeat Project carries on the legacy of Fela and the afrobeat style.

        SAT 2/26 -- GRIOT CELEBRATION (West Africa) -- MIT Kresge Auditorium -- Cambridge
        A gala performance of African music, drumming, and dance. Featuring the Mbaye Family Drum Troupe, Rambax MIT, and other guest artists. Directed by Lamine Toure. Tickets $10 ($5 for MIT students)

        SUN 2/27 -- ACOUSTIC AFRICA -- Somerville Theatre
        Acoustic Africa brings together three of Africa's guitar masters: Habib Koite (Mali), Oliver "Tuku" Mtukudzi (Zimbabwe), and Afel Bocoum (Mali). Show starts at 7pm, tickets $40. Presented by www.worldmusic.org

        MARCH PREVIEW
        3/5 -- Ghana Association of Greater Boston Independence Dinner Dance -- Sons of Italy -- Watertwon
        3/20 -- Ladysmith Black Mambazo (South Africa) -- Sanders Theatre -- Cambridge
        3/24 -- Debo Band (Ethiopia) -- Johnny D's -- Somerville

        WMBR 88.1 FM
        Africa Kabisa w/ DJ Julia Mongo
        Archives: www.wmbr.org