CAMEROONIAN DOCUMENTARY FILM AT MFA 1/19/06

  • africakabisa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2006
      "Sisters in Law," a film shot in Kumba, Cameroon, (the town I
      recently visited), will be shown tomorrow evening Thursday January 19
      at 7:45pm at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. This award-winning
      documentary has received rave reviews. I just found out about this
      screening, and wanted to pass the word along to Africa Kabisa
      listeners. I'm a major fan of Judge Judy, as well as Kumba and strong-
      willed Cameroonian women, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing
      this film!

      Human Rights Watch International Film Festival
      Film
      Sisters in Law
      7:45 pm
      Thursday, January 19, 2006
      Remis Auditorium

      Sisters in Law by Kim Longinotto and Florence Ayisi (UK/Cameroon,
      2005, 106 min.). A fascinating, often hilarious look at the work of
      one small courthouse in Cameroon. Tough-minded state prosecutor Vera
      Ngassa and court president Beatrice Ntuba are helping women in their
      Muslim village find the courage to fight difficult cases on abuse,
      despite pressures from family and their community to remain silent.
      With fierce passion, they dispense wisdom, wisecracks, and justice in
      fair measureĀ—handing down stiff sentences to those convicted. A cross
      between Judge Judy and The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Sisters in
      Law presents a strong and positive view of African women and has
      audiences cheering when justice is served. In English, Hausa, and
      Pidgin English with English subtitles. For more African films, see
      the African Film Festival.

      MFA members, seniors, and students $10; general admission $12.
      http://www.mfa.org

      Also, the MFA's African Film Festival will be held 2/15 - 2/26. Tune
      into Africa Kabisa for ticket giveaways.

      Radio Africa Kabisa
      WMBR 88.1 FM
      Sundays 4-6pm EST
      http://www.wmbr.org