Re: [A FOSSIL CLUB] Member Update

  • Naugust102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      Thank you for your letter. I appreciate the time and effort that you have
      put in for others like myself who are beginning to fall in love with fossils
      of all types! Sounds just this side of corny but an accurate depiction of
      feelings incountered by those who have a feel for what was here before us.
      How can one describe the emotions felt when holding in your hand or touching
      something that you alone are the 1st human to lay eyes on?! Or being blown
      away by holding a tooth from a prehistoric beast that had it in it's mouth
      eons age and it ended up in your backyard and in your hand!!?

      I am very interested in the coral and look forward to your websites. I live
      at the eastern edge of Nebraska, our land was the Missouri river bed until an
      1852 flood and in the direct flow path of things coming down from the
      Dakotas. How lucky is that!? Also, part of it held the old train station
      from 1855 to 1890 and some of the original trestlle lumber and bricks, horse
      teathers, etc are still there very buried in years of silt. I have found
      some unbelievable treasures and after awhile learned to keep my mouth shut.
      Reactions have been varies, either turn it over or the ever popular, "She's a
      little strange...".

      Most of the bones and things I've found are in very poor condition (because
      of water) and not complete. i don't believe they woud be of any value to
      others than study, perhaps, but to me they are my treasures. There are also
      many Indian thing I have found. Are these things I shoule give back to the
      remaining tribes? Again, my research in these areas to identify my founds
      don't lead me to think they would be of any great value...

      I could go on for hours (perhaps I've somewhat earned the crazy epithet!) but
      I would much rather listen. Can you tell me of any websites to search and
      such?

      Again, many thanks for being there. I look forward with pleasure to visiting
      your sites. Grandiose, I know, but I love to give gifts that are not
      duplicated; something with meaning from the past.

      Naugust

    • beth lorentzen
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2002
        Thanks for the response,

        It sounds like you live in an interesting area! Where
        I live, there are many small creeks and streams, and
        they make for very good hunting. No two are the same
        either, you can find good stuff in one place...go a
        mile away, and find nothing....go figure!

        I use to live in Omaha, lived for for 1 yr. What
        town/city do you live in or near?

        As to your compliment about sharing with others, I've
        not been into rockhounding very long, and Coral just
        sits good with me. I don't find many people who are
        interested or even some who have never heard of such
        thing. That makes me feel good, the fact that I now
        have a "hobby" and can introduce some other people on
        occasions.

        well, gotta wrap it up, you take care, and
        please...don't hesitate to drop me a line or two.

        Again, thank you,,,and take care

        Dave

        =====
        Dave Lorentzen