Re: New Az. Find!

  • fossil_finder
    Message 1 of 363 , Mar 14, 2001
      Hi Boingo!<br>I am a new member, and your post is
      rather old now, but if it is any help I will try to
      assist you with these finds.<br>It appears that you have
      crinoid columnals in your first pics. If the colors are
      correct, it almost appears to be the same type of
      preservation that occurs along the Mogollon Rim in the Redwall
      Limestone which is Mississippian in age. Seeing that you
      are in Tucson, it is possible that you are finding
      these things in the Escabrosa Limestone which is the
      equivalent formation in the southern part of the state. The
      "clams" you are finding are Brachiopods, probably of the
      same age. they are most likely preserved in Chert,
      which allows for excellent preservation, but the
      chances of removing the fossil from the matrix are nil.
      the best thing to do is to get some latex mold
      material from the local craft shop and paint on the latex
      until a thick rubbery film develops. Peel that out of
      the chert, and you will have a incredibly detailed
      positive of the shell. You will be amazed at the detail
      that you will see when you use this
      technique!<br>write me sometime and I would be willing to drag you
      out to some killer fossil sites here in AZ. <br>Take
      care!
    • sharkteeth53
      Message 363 of 363 , Sep 8, 2002
        --- In afossilclub@y..., myke49 wrote:
        > hi...i go to venice beach looking for shark teeth. i have found
        1,000's anyone else go there? would like to see what you
        found. e-mail me...beachbummm@w... mike

        new member just started collecting. i would like to find not just
        buy.
        any luck at venic beach?
        where is venic beach?
        any good books just on shark teeth?