Eating Issues

  • Chrystal Wagner
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hi everyone,
      I need some feedback. We have had problems getting our son to eat for
      a very long time. It seems he has no interest in food. He is capable
      of eating but just won't. He is still on the bottle taking
      Pediasure. But lately he seems to fight his hunger and we can barely
      get him to take in 16oz. a day. I struggle with the whole feeding
      tube thing, but feel like I might not have any other options at this
      point. Have any of you had this problem with your kids. I am not
      sure if this is just part of the AHC or something else. If anyone has
      been through this or has any advice I could sure use it. I am just so
      frustrated and feel helpless.

      Chrystal Wagner (Hunter 3 years old)
    • kcventi
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
        Hi Chrystal

        We have not experienced this with our daughter.  Her appetite may change with illness but returns.  When she was about 2yrs old and went through a full body likmpness, she couldn't swallow well but this was short lived and we started her off using thicken and baby food.

        Can you try giving something in bottle that he really likes and then try transferring that to spoon while supplementing with pedialyte to see if its a matter of changing habit vs something else going on?

        Perhaps others have had this experience and can help.  Hoping for a quick turnaround for Hunter.

        Karen

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
          Hello Chrystal,
          Tyler has always been a great eater but had a lot of trouble with tectures we had to try diffrent things all the time and than try that food again at a diffrent time also out children have such weekness in muscles that they tend not to want to chew and also hard to swallow. we went through a serise of excersizes to desensitize his mouth and also strengthin his muscles does he have a speech theripist or an OT they should be able to help you. They helped Tyler alot. Is there anything that Hunter does like to eat?
          I hope this is helpful and if you want to talk please do call
          207-729-1614
          emisenti@...
          take care and my thoughts will be with you
          Erika Misenti mother to Tyler who is 10yrs 3rd grade this year.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
            Chrystal,

            Hunter is just adorable and I hope you find help soon. It was a pleasure
            meeting your family in Chicago.

            While Emma's issues are much different, two books recommended to me
            were:

            The Sneaky Chef by Missy Lapine and Deceptively Delicious by Jessica
            Seinfeld.

            While I realize Hunter will not eat at all, these books might help with
            ideas on how to get healthy foods into kids once he does start eating.
            Good luck and I wish you and Hunter the best.

            Vicky Platt

            Come join me at the AHCF Chicago Walk on September 21, 2008
            Learn more at www.ahcwalkforkids.com
            <http://ahcwalkforkids.com/index.html>

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
              Vicky,
              I think you have me mixed up with the other family that have a son named Hunter.  I wasn't able to attend the conference.  But I appreciate the feedback.  Thank you.

              Learn more at www.ahcwalkforkids. com
              <http://ahcwalkforki ds.com/index. html>

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 24, 2008
                Our son went through phases where he couldn't swallow liquids, but was
                OK on thickened liquids. We used a thickener such as Quick Thick, and
                fed them with a spoon. When the swallowing improved he was able to
                hamdle anything. On ocassion his swallowing is a problem during
                episodes. This may or may not be affecting your son. If you suspect
                it is he should have a swallowing assessment by a speech/language
                pathologist.Deanna and David--- In afha@yahoogroups.com, "Chrystal

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
                  Hi Chrystal

                  We haven't experienced this directly but I had a couple of thoughts.  When Addie had more hemiplegia symptoms at age 1 and 2 yrs she was adverse to texture changes, which can happen for a lot of kids, not just AHC.  We also used Thicken once when she was limp all over but this didn't last long.

                  I wonder if Hunter has a combination of not wanting to give up bottle b/c of habit/comfort as well as maybe the swallowing issues being an aversion.  Have you had a swallow study by Speech therapist?  I remember doing one wtih Addie and hers was non invasive, just eating, drinking different textures and them assessing outcome.

                  Is there a soft food like homemade applesauce or pudding that is sweet and he may like that you could try , gradually adding it to his pedisure diet?  You have probably tried all of this but it's just a thought.  It must be exhausting worrying about your child eating or not eating.

                  I hope others have some exp with this for you.  You may also try some other yahoo groups, like epilepsy, apraxiakids, maybe a cerabal palsy site where parents may have experience with same issue just different medical diagnosis.

                  Karen