Re: [ahc] Med for behavior issues

  • MandM421@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2006
      hello everyone

      well I took Hailey to the Doctor on tues. so now we started Zoloft
      ..25mg for 2 weeks and then 50mg for another 2 weeks.........then we will see...
      he also wants to try another anti-psychotic ..I forget the name ..but if
      this doesn't work I let you know the next name...anyway while we were at the
      doctors ..at least he gets to see her in action sometimes...during this visit
      she trashed his office and I mean trashed...she also started her biting,
      scratching , kicking me things while I was trying to hold her down.........

      so the Dr. starts to say something and I say don't say it because I know
      exactly what he was going to say.....he suggests that if nothing works we
      should maybe put her in a home.........my heart sank...I totally understand why
      he said it...I know it's not a healthy way to live for her, me my husband all
      my kids (3 others besides Hailey) but yet how could I ever do that!!!!!
      But then again and don't take this the wrong way ..I just can't take it
      anymore..I can't do it anymore , not physically not emotionally...but then I
      think to myself I could never do that to her.........Like I said Before
      THIS SUCKS...time for some venting here....WE DIDN"Y ASK FOR OUR KIDS TO BE
      SICK..........LUCKY US...People always give you the old which I'm sure you've
      heard...God only gives you what you can handle...While aren't we great...big
      deal...........
      Ok I'm done venting

      anyway I guess I'll let you know how the Zoloft is going...it's been 2 days
      and I know it has to get to a level, but I did get the crap kicked out of
      me for the passed to mornings...so it's not doing anything yet!

      thanks for listening
      Mindy

    • Nancy Barrett
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hi Mindy,

        We all need to vent, and where better than here. Besides being a helpful
        site for understanding the physical challenges of living with AHC, we also
        need to talk about the emotional and spiritual challenges. For many of us,
        day to day brings a little joy and a little heartbreak, but it's clear that
        you and your whole family, but especially you, are really suffering right
        now. Sometimes the hardest part is when someone new steps into your life
        and you see through their fresh eyes how very hard things have gotten. I do
        so hope that Zoloft gives you and Hailey the relief you need. Here in
        Vermont we have respite care for families so that everyone gets a breather -
        in fact I am the respite provider for my daughter and her husband. If you
        don't have that now, maybe that would be a great step to take rather than
        having her live somewhere else.

        I took a course awhile ago that was taught by a nun, and I remember
        something she said about God and what well-meaning people say, like the
        whole God only gives you what you can handle, or God knew this child would
        need an angel and that's why He gave her to you, and some other sayings like
        those. Maybe they're true, but this nun quoted a guy who was wheelchair
        bound who simply said (pardon my language), "It sucks." I believe it does.
        But I also believe that God can be called upon to bring strength and peace
        and comfort - at least He does for me. If you don't mind, I'd like to pray
        for you and Hailey and your family, that you find the right medication to
        calm Hailey's rage and that you all get the rest and joy that you need to
        help carry you through the tough times. Please know that people you haven't
        even met care about you.

        nancy

        _____

[...]

        Send a mail to the AHC community :
        Send a mail : afha@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe : afha-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Owner of the list : afha-owner@yahoogroups.com

        Link to the URL :
        AHC Website :
        http://www.afha.org

        Health
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Health+and+wellness&w1=Health+and+welln
        ess&w2=Health+wellness+product&w3=Health+and+wellness+program&w4=Diet+fitnes
        s+health+nutrition+wellness&w5=Business+health+wellness&w6=Womens+health+and
        +wellness&c=6&s=193&.sig=PNRLSHFaTqyXp1obv2v4Rw> and wellness

        Health
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Health+wellness+product&w1=Health+and+w
        ellness&w2=Health+wellness+product&w3=Health+and+wellness+program&w4=Diet+fi
        tness+health+nutrition+wellness&w5=Business+health+wellness&w6=Womens+health
        +and+wellness&c=6&s=193&.sig=AFqS_tXnPnpCqwpKNebdSg> wellness product

        Health
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Health+and+wellness+program&w1=Health+a
        nd+wellness&w2=Health+wellness+product&w3=Health+and+wellness+program&w4=Die
        t+fitness+health+nutrition+wellness&w5=Business+health+wellness&w6=Womens+he
        alth+and+wellness&c=6&s=193&.sig=BdigZOYgdpxf9YZh9fklUA> and wellness
        program

        Diet
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Diet+fitness+health+nutrition+wellness&
        w1=Health+and+wellness&w2=Health+wellness+product&w3=Health+and+wellness+pro
        gram&w4=Diet+fitness+health+nutrition+wellness&w5=Business+health+wellness&w
        6=Womens+health+and+wellness&c=6&s=193&.sig=f7gxQtotiuCxOWOqpDkACg> fitness
        health nutrition wellness

        Business
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+health+wellness&w1=Health+and+
        wellness&w2=Health+wellness+product&w3=Health+and+wellness+program&w4=Diet+f
        itness+health+nutrition+wellness&w5=Business+health+wellness&w6=Womens+healt
        h+and+wellness&c=6&s=193&.sig=A_YEjl6nHR8XON05FHgkuA> health wellness

        Womens
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Womens+health+and+wellness&w1=Health+an
        d+wellness&w2=Health+wellness+product&w3=Health+and+wellness+program&w4=Diet
        +fitness+health+nutrition+wellness&w5=Business+health+wellness&w6=Womens+hea
        lth+and+wellness&c=6&s=193&.sig=JpT9ejkuDwKyEqyBnGDFnw> health and wellness

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        the web.

        _____

      • Carol Prunty
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 2, 2006
          Hi Mindy,

          I sure hope the medicine works.

          I am sending a copy of part of a testimony that I give at retreats. I'm not a holy roller or a religious fanatic, but find that faith can really help you through.

          You can take it however you want, but I felt like I should send it. There was a pop up that said it might not all copy, I hope it does.

          Carol

          Some of you know we have a 19 year old daughter named Mary who is severely mentally and physically handicapped. She's had problems since she was a baby. For a while, probably 5-6 years, she used to get up at 3:00- 3:30 AM and not want to go back to bed. She'd run around the house and was wild. I hated that- I hated getting up to take care of her. I was really a crab. Why can't I even get a full night's sleep? One weekend I was on another retreat and we had the opportunity to go to confession (reconciliation) and I went to Msgr. Dan Hermes and I told him my problem about getting up every morning, how it made me feel and act negative. He said that he had a similar problem whenever he got a sick call during the night. He said to solve instead of looking at it negatively to look at it as God's calling. You know- in the song Here I Am Lord- "I heard you calling in the night." Right when I was awakened by Mary I should say to God "Thy will be done". For my penance to say the Our Father and concentrate on "thy will be done". Ok- so I go home and the first night I'm awaken I say sarcastically "Thy will be done", but really, it helped that I knew this was something God really wanted me to do.

          Mary had a stroke about 3 years ago. She can't get up any more. She can't walk or talk or even eat. She is tube fed. I remember a family a few years ago who had a severely handicapped son and they couldn't stand the pressure of taking care of him anymore and they left him at a hospital. There are some who would say Mary's life isn't worth living like Terry Schiavo, she'd be better off dead. Time to move on. The only thing that keeps me from being selfish & self centered is my faith in Jesus Christ, His love and grace,

          And the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit gives me guidance and council to see our situation with different eyes.

          The Holy Spirit has helped me to see the big picture. Some people have to search and pray for Gods will. I am very fortunate to have it spelled out before me every day. Matt 25: 31-46. Jesus says,

          When I was hungry you gave me food

          When I was thirsty you gave me drink

          When I was naked you clothed me

          Ill and you cared for me. and

          The righteous say when did we do all this?

          Jesus says Amen I say to you

          Whenever you did it for one of these least brothers of mine, you did it for me.

          I get the opportunity to do these things for Jesus every day with out even having to leave my house. I am very blessed. When I take care of Mary I am taking care of Jesus. When I do certain things for her especially messy diapers, I offer this act for someone who has asked me to do so for them that day or for family members or friends to become closer to Christ. I can feel the grace flow. It makes everything a whole lot easier .

[...]

          Diet fitness health nutrition wellness Business health wellness Womens health and wellness

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2006
            Carol and Nancy

            thank you so much for your wise words....Your thoughts and prayers mean so
            much.....

            Mindy

          • huizing_1
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 4, 2006
              Mindy: My heart goes out to you. We've been there a few years ago,
              David was about 13 and we couldn't take it anymore. We we burned
              out and did need a break. We applied for extra funding through our
              local community living association to give us 8 to 16 hrs of a
              respite worker a day. This really helped us to let someone else
              handle David for a good part of each day, while still keeping him at
              home. We too didn't want to put him in a home, not as a child. We
              are now feeling much better and can handle David much better. He is
              also much improved and much less aggressive. Having other people
              caring for him helped alot as the battle was ususally with us.

              We have now had David on Zoloft for 6 weeks -- the first 4 on 25mg,
              and we didn't notice much difference. The past 2 weeks he has been
              on 50 mg and we are noticing some improvements, but it doesn't take
              every struggle away, but it does lessen the intensity, and increases
              the chance of being able to reason with him. Working with a
              behaviour thereapist has also helped over the years. Aggression is
              no longer a major issue, and we are working on obedience.

              JWe've also had an issue with getting David out the door for school
              in the mornings. I think we are on to something-- he doesn't seem
              to see any need to go to school as he doesnt look ahead like my
              others do to their future, he only lives for today, as this is where
              he is at intellectually . We have started tjo try and find things to
              motivate him, 1'st we tried after school motivations, such as going
              out fjor coffee, or going grocery shopping(which he loves). DThis
              worked most of the dtime, but we needed sjomething more, so we have
              the school helping now. They tell us one special thing he will be
              doing each day and we talk about it at home the night before and
              again in the morning. Its worked like a miracle so far. I'll keep
              you posted-. sorry fjor going on ojs long. Deanna.-- In
              afha@yahoogroups.com, MandM421@... wrote:

              > hello everyone
              >
              > well I took Hailey to the Doctor on tues. so now we started
              Zoloft
              > ..25mg for 2 weeks and then 50mg for another 2 weeks.........then
              we will see...
              > he also wants to try another anti-psychotic ..I forget the
              name ..but if
              > this doesn't work I let you know the next name...anyway while we
              were at the
              > doctors ..at least he gets to see her in action
              sometimes...during this visit
              > she trashed his office and I mean trashed...she also started her
              biting,
              > scratching , kicking me things while I was trying to hold her
              down.........

              > so the Dr. starts to say something and I say don't say it
              because I know
              > exactly what he was going to say.....he suggests that if nothing
              works we
              > should maybe put her in a home.........my heart sank...I totally
              understand why
              > he said it...I know it's not a healthy way to live for her, me my
              husband all
              > my kids (3 others besides Hailey) but yet how could I ever
              do that!!!!!
              > But then again and don't take this the wrong way ..I just can't
              take it
              > anymore..I can't do it anymore , not physically not
              emotionally...but then I
              > think to myself I could never do that to her.........Like I said
              Before
              > THIS SUCKS...time for some venting here....WE DIDN"Y ASK FOR OUR
              KIDS TO BE
              > SICK..........LUCKY US...People always give you the old which I'm
              sure you've
              > heard...God only gives you what you can handle...While aren't we
              great...big
              > deal...........
              > Ok I'm done venting
              >
              > anyway I guess I'll let you know how the Zoloft is going...it's
              been 2 days
              > and I know it has to get to a level, but I did get the crap
              kicked out of
              > me for the passed to mornings...so it's not doing anything yet!
              >
              > thanks for listening
              > Mindy

            • Lynn Egan
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 4, 2006
                Hi all,

                It sounds like many of us are going through the same thing - different degrees (what else is new!!!).

                Kathleen had no major behavior issues we couldn't handle until about 11 years old and that period last for about six months. Then again at 13, it started and never stopped, getting worse with little relief.

                Our mornings were a nightmare.....refusing to get out of bed, refusing to get dressed, refusing to go to the bathroom. I started to notice a pattern that if she woke up on her own, she was better than if I woke her up. So we set an alarm. Things improved some in that we had maybe two good days and three awful.
                And cnce we were in the car on our way to school, it was like nothing had happened and on occasion, she would apologize.

                However, there were two times that there was a school issue and the mornings were much worse. It took me a little while to figure it out but I made some changes in school and that changed the mornings.

                I too was at wits end in the fall. I had picked up the phone book and started looking online for some place for Kathleen. Would I have actually placed her some where????? I don't know. All I knew is that something need to change!! As Joanne said, it was hard on all of us and the dynamics of the family was stressed to the max.

                Kathleen's neuro recommended 50mg of Zoloft - 25mg for two weeks and then put her up to 50mg. We saw fantastic results at 25mg and so I have left her at that dose (Kathleen is 5'3" and 108lbs).

                So far so good!!! It has been four months. We have a new child. We still have some behavior - normal teenage behavior - and as Deanna said, we are able to reason with her - something we have not been able to do for years.

                I wish everyone the best. It feels like it has been an uphill battle, one hill I never thought we would get to the top.

                Take care, Lynn

                huizing_1 <huizing1@...> wrote: Mindy: My heart goes out to you. We've been there a few years ago,
> [...]

                take it
                > anymore..I can't do it anymore , not physically not
                emotionally...but then I
                > think to myself I could never do that to her.........Like I said
                Before
                > THIS SUCKS...time for some venting here....WE DIDN"Y ASK FOR OUR
                KIDS TO BE
                > SICK..........LUCKY US...People always give you the old which I'm
                sure you've
                > heard...God only gives you what you can handle...While aren't we
                great...big
                > Ok I'm done venting
                >
                > anyway I guess I'll let you know how the Zoloft is going...it's
                been 2 days
                > and I know it has to get to a level, but I did get the crap
                kicked out of
                > me for the passed to mornings...so it's not doing anything yet!

                Health and wellness Health wellness product Health and wellness program Diet fitness health nutrition wellness Business health wellness Womens health and wellness