a bit of everything

  • cassiedawes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi all

      firstly i am starting to toilet train Gus (4.5yrs). His OT came over
      today and measured up for a step and rails. Now i know Gus knows
      when he needs to go the the toilet, he either goes into another room
      or tells me immediately afterwoods. He has never in his life had a
      solid poo which i know is due to the medication so i am just
      concintrating on the wee's for the moment so if anyone has any tips
      that really helped them i would love to hear from you?
      Secondly do any other children have constantly running noses. When
      Gus does go to the Dr's they check his chest and say that it is
      rattley and he always seems to have a running nose when my 3 other
      childern don't?
      look forward to hearing from anyone
      cassie
    • hourmom2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        Cassie: David has had loose bm's in the past and after consulting
        with his Dr. we came to the conclussion that he had a lactose
        intolerance. Reducing or removing the milk products, and sometimes
        using Lactaid when they couldn't be avoided worked. Whenever he got
        loose again we just cut back some and hings became normal. He
        tolerates quite alot now, but we have learned to use alot of yogurt
        because the bacteria help him digest the lactose, not only in the
        yogurt but also the other milk products he eats as well. Has your
        son been on antibiotics often. If so he may not have enough friendly
        bacteria and may benefit from yogurt as well. David also has had
        runny noses and this is probably airborne allergies, but we have
        never treated for this as our pediatrician does not recommend
        antihistamines, as they may interact with the meds he needs, so he
        feels this is something we just have to put up with.
        We started to train David around your sons age as well. We were
        very frustrated because he also seemed to know when he needed to go
        but just was not interested. Rewards etc did not motivate him often
        and if we found one that did, it only worked for a short time. The
        daycare he attended was very helpful, and in co-operation with them
        we started on a program, that emphasized the positive and ignored the
        negative as much as is possible. We decided to have him sit on the
        toilet at routine times ie- upon arising, mid-morning, after lunch,
        after nap, after supper and at bedtime. We wore pullups on him day
        and night, and would always praise him verbally if he was dry at any
        of these toileting times, or any time he went to toilet on his own.
        We would praise if he sat well on toilet and tried, if he actually
        went, and if he allowed us to clean messes without a major fuss. If
        he was wet we didn't mention it, he just sat on toilet and tried and
        then changed and went on his way. Tangible rewards he was not injto
        but he did like verbal praise. This was a very long process because
        he just didn't care if he was wet or soiled, but by age 8 he was
        doing well and having only 1 or 2 accidents per day, so we started
        using pull-ups only at night. By age 11 he no longer needed pull-ups
        at night and now only uses them during episodes that are prolonged.He
        now rarely has an accident and when he does it is usually due to inco-
        ordination in the bathroom. I don't want to discourage you, but each
        child is different but some do take a very long time to get the idea,
        so hang in there, and you will find what works for your son. If what
        you are doing doesn't seem to be working don't be afraid to try
        something diferent,also OT may have ideas for you. Deanna and David