(fwd) Documents on auction, many relating to the Moodies of Melsetter, Orkney, and others.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2014
      This is a commercial notice, but may be of interest to some.

      On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 22:32:32 +0000 (UTC), in soc.genealogy.marketplace Ian
      Balchin <azopane@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      We list below items that we have on auction starting Thursday 10th July
      2014.

      Full descriptions with images and reserve pricing are given on
      the auction site.

      http://www.antiquarianauctions.com

      The auction is on preview now, full details are available once the
      auction opens for bidding. A pdf file of our auction listings is
      available on request, abbreviated listing given below.

      The auction commences Thursday 10th July and finishes Thursday 17th
      October at 18.30 local time. You need to register to take part in the
      auction and either myself or antiquarianauctions.com will be pleased to
      assist you with the bidding process - which is actually simplicity in
      itself. If you can log in, you can bid.

      A special note. There is _no_ buyers premium payable on the hammer
      prices (up to 25% on conventional auctions). The winning bid is the
      price that is paid (hopefully by you).

      This selection includes more letters and documents relating to the
      Moodie family. Also a book inscribed by Taubie Kushlik, South African
      actress, and two ALS from Tini Vorster, wife of John Vorster.

      Lot 176.
      Major Roper. ALS dd Edinburgh Feb 12th 1747 to Captain Moodie.
      Naval correspondence from Lord Albemarle advising Captain Moodie that
      he is being moved. Commodore Smith is being replaced by Commodore
      Gowrie to take command of the station. Lord Albemarle is recommending
      "the taking you away from a place which his Lordship is sensible must
      be extremely disagreeable to you"

      Lot 177
      (James Scott) AUTOGRAPH DOCUMENT. dd 1819. Vidimus Of The Affairs Of
      James Moodie Esq Of Melsetter. For The Use Of Mr Donald Moodie.
      Details of accounts. Shows that Tangible Funds minus Preferable
      Burthens leaves an inadequate amount to defray Personal Debts.
      Unrecovered amounts are noted to an amount in excess of this, said
      amount is exclusive of several sums said to be recoverable but which
      are in dispute. No name shown of author but probably in the hand of
      James Scott. The continual financial troubles of the Moodie family led
      to the sale of the Moodie estate in Melsetter, Orkney, and to the
      eventual departure of Benjamin Moodie to the Cape Colony.

      Lot 178
      James Scott. AUTOGRAPH DOCUMENT. Comparative View Of The Funds Of James
      Moodie Esq. Conveyed In Trust And Of The Debts Due By Him. dd Edinburgh
      19th December 1816.
      Details of accounts. "The foregoing general view of the funds and debts
      of Mr Moodie of Melsetter was drawn up for and submitted to the
      consideration of a general meeting of the creditors held on the 4th
      instant, by me accountant in Edinburgh acting for Robert Wilson Esq,
      Trustee for Mr Moodie And his creditors".

      Lot 179
      Captain Lake. ALS dd May 15th 1746. From 'Exeter' in Cromarty Road.
      Noted on rear, "Capt Lake's letter to Mr Moodie desiring him not to
      proceed to sea in the Gibralter who intended to sail for London but to
      so rule the Dukes orders. This was wrote in Cromarty Road 15 May 1746".
      The letter notes: " ... it being desired that you shall be employ'd on
      a particular service".

      Lot 180
      S.B. Venning. ALS to Benjamin Moodie, Port Beaufort, Swellendam, dd
      Edinburgh 20 July 1830.
      This is a copy of a letter, with a note by S.B. Venning, originally
      from W.A Turner to S.B. Venning, concerning the affairs of Benjamin
      Moodie and forwarded to him by S/. Venning on 20 July 1830. S.B.
      Venning was the merchant in Cape Town that Benjamin Moodie had a
      contract with to supply grain via Port Beaufort. The letter again
      concerns the debts of the Moodies, which may be finally resolved with a
      pending action against Lord Dundas for return of over-payments made by
      James Moodie for Superior Duties from the Estate of Melsetter prior to
      sale of said estate.

      Lot 181
      Thomas H. Baird. AUTOGRAPH DOCUMENT dated 17th January 1820.
      Case For William Scott Moncrieff Accountant In Edinburgh Trustee
      For The Creditors Of Major James Moodie Of Melsetter, For The Opinion
      Of Counsel. This is a statement of the facts of the case, followed by
      questions, and with the response by Counsel.

      Lot 182
      James Moodie. ALS to Benjamin Moodie dd London May 4th to 20th 1816.
      Commences: "My Dear Son, I duly received your letter ... May God Bless
      You". Heavily concerned with the financial and legal issue with which
      the Moodie family were embroiled at that time, James Moodie was
      critical of the attempts of his son Benjamin Moodie to settle the
      estate which, he felt, did not provide for adequate security for him
      and his family to live. At this time he appears to have been residing
      in a tavern in Edinburgh, possibly as a result of legal action bringing
      him away from Orkney, and reliant upon Benjamin and others to support
      him. financially.

      Lot 183Hello,

[...]

      Laurence Irving. HENRY IRVING.
      Inscribed ffep thus: "To __ With my grateful thanks. Dial "M" For
      Murder. Library Theatre 1954. (signed) Taubie Kushlick" Taubie
      Kushlick, (1910 - 1992, nee Taubie Braun) was a South African actress,
      theatre director, producer, and self-styled "First Lady of Theatre"

      Lot 184
      Tini Vorster. 2 x ALS from Tini Vorster.
      The handwritten letters are affixed in a copy of W.J. Le Roux's 'GROOTE
      SCHUUR, Residence of South Africa's Prime Minister'. In her letter dd.
      24/09/73 she is thanking him for some extracts from his memoirs. In the
      second dd. 7/10/73 she is thanking him for sending a signed copy of his
      father's book 'The Great Trek'. Book has inscription by Jean Walker.
      Gilt on white boards. 127pp illustrated colour & b/w. Inside, beneath
      protective plastic to feps, are two original letters from Tini Vorster
      (wife of J.B. Vorster, then Prime Minister of South Africa) to Dr
      Walker (son of author Eric Walker) on Libertas, Bryntirion, Pretoria,
      notepaper.

      Items on this auction are not available for pre-auction offers.
      Items unsold on the auction will be returned immediately to shop price
      on conclusion of the auction. If there is an item of interest, please
      do bid on auction. Post-auction offers are not accepted.

      Finally, we repeat our offer to assist you should you need help as a
      first-time bidder on the auction.

      Regards
      Ian Balchin.

      --
      Fables Bookshop (Proprietor: Ian Balchin) Est. 1990
      119 High Street, Grahamstown, 6139, South Africa.

[...]

      Fables Bookshop, Grahamstown, South Africa

      --
      Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
      Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com