Journal of a tour of Namibia and Botswana

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 2:42 AM
      We've just returned from a holiday trip to Namibia and Botswana.

      While it's nowhere near the standard of Boswell & Johnson's journal of their
      tour of the Hebrides, it does have the advantage of having photos to
      punctuate the prose, so if anyone is interested, you can follow it here:

      http://tinyurl.com/prok3hc

      Part of the purpose of our journey was to do family history research, and we
      spent some time in the Windhoek Archives and looking at church records,
      hoping to find traces of the STEWARDSON, GREEN and DIXON families, and the
      links between them.

      We also followed in the footsteps (and the wake) of the brothers Charles and
      Fred Green, who were elephant hunters and traders and whose travels took them
      from Bloemfontein to Walvis Bay via Lake Ngami, and along the Okavango River.

      In 1855 Fred Green travelled by boat from Lake Ngami to the Popa rapids, a
      distance of about 350 km - a trip you couldn't make today.

      Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
      Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
      Fax: 086-548-2525