The Dixon family of Namaqualand

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2013
      We've at last managed to get hold of a copy of the book "Die Dixons van
      Namakwaland" by Ledivia van Vuuren and Martie du Toit, published last year by
      the Genealogical Society of South Africa.

      It is a history of the family of Benjamin Dixon (1799-1866) and Lodivia Maria
      Manifold (1908-1900) who were born in Ireland, emigrated to the Cape Colony
      in the 1840s, and became traders in Damaraland and Great and Little
      Namaqualand (now parts of Namibia and of the Northern Cape province of South
      Africa). It includes "Mrs Lathams's Diary", the reminiscences of their eldest
      daughter Jane, who married William Latham, which have been published
      previously in part, but this is the first time that the full text has been
      published.

      In addition to the family history it providees some interesting insights into
      life in what is now Namibia in the mid-19th century, with the trials and
      perils of ox waggon travel in a land with few or no roads.

      You can see my review here:

      http://t.co/msRPHHkAYk

      --
      Keep well,