Dixon families of Namibia and the Cape Colony

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2013
      For many years we have been puzzled by some DIXON connections in Namibia.

      We are interested in the MORRIS and STEWARDSON families, and we know that a
      MORRIS family (related to us) went to Damaraland in 1843/44 with a DIXON
      family, and each family built a house at Sandfontein on the Kuiseb River,
      near Walvis Bay.

      Mrs Morris gave birth to a daughter there, whose name was Sarah Annie Kuisip
      Morris -- named after the river where she was born. All this we know from
      estate files and divorce papers in the Cape Archives and various pribnted
      books.

      Sarah Annnie Kuisip Morris's aunt Frances Morris arrived soon afterwards,
      with her husband Frank STEWARDSON, and they had three sons and four
      daughters. We have no idea what happened to the sons, but the daughters
      married Oscar LINDHOLM, Axel ERIKSSON, John GUNNING and Frederick GREEN.

      Frederick Green's first wife was a DIXON -- Kate Stewardson was his third
      wife. But we don't know his Dixon wife's first name.

      And two Gunning girls married DIXONs.

      Charlotte Annie GUNNING
      Catherine Elizabeth GUNNING

      But we don't know the first names of those Dixons either.

      This is where things begin to get complicated, because it appears that there
      were at least two, and possibly three or four different Dixon families in
      Damaraland in the period 1840-1880.

      They were:

      1. The Ben Dixon family
      2. The Peter Dixon family
      and possibly
      3. The Sidney Dixon family (Sidney may be an alias for Ben)
      4. Another Peter Dixon family

      A book has recently been published on the Ben Dixon family. We are having
      difficulty in getting a copy because of the post office strike, but have been
      in touch with one of the authors.

      We have collected a fair amount of information on the Peter Dixon family,
      mainly in the Cape Archives, and the author of the Ben Dixon book has told us
      that none of the names in the two families match -- they really do seem to be
      two entirely different families, with no links at all.

      We're hoping to go on a research trip to Namibia later in the year, and tie
      up some of these loose ends, but in the mean time we're trying to .sort out
      what we know of the Dixon families, so that if we do discover which Dixons
      marruied the Gunning girls, we'll know which Dixon family they belonged to --
      it would be funny if one married into one family, and the other into the
      other family.

      Of the Peter Dixon family we know that he married twice, first to Wilhelmina
      Hendrikse, and second to Annie Cloete. The children of his first marriage are
      listed on his death notice in the Cape Archives, but those of the second
      marriage weren't known -- presumably they stayed in Damaraland and never went
      to the Cape.

      It is through his son Daniel Esma Dixon (there are lots of Daniel Esma Dixons
      in this family) that we know that Fred Green married a Dixon -- in testimony
      in a court case in Windhoek in 1911 he said that he had arrived in Walvis Bay
      from Cape Town in 1861 with his brother in law Fred Green, at the age of 14.
      His sister had died the year before, and Fred Green was cohabiting with a
      Herero woman (she later gave evidence in the same court case, and her name
      was Sarah Kaipukire) Daniel Esma Dixon then went to his father in Walvis Bay,
      and returned to the Cape for a while. He later farmed at Ubib, near Karibib.

      I'm just wondering if anyone else has connections with Dixon families in
      Namibia.

      --
      Keep well,
      Steve Hayes