Re Beaglehole, missing persons, and deceased estate records in South Africa

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2012
      About 25 years ago I wrote an article for "Family Tree" magazine about using
      South African deceased estate records to find information about people who
      died outside South Africa, with particular reference to Re Beaglehole, the
      case that established the South African law of missing persons (which differs
      from English law in that in South Africa a person cannot be automatically
      presumed dead if they have been missing for 7 years or more).

      I doubt that anyone under 40 would have read the original artcle, so I've
      posted an updated version on my blog at:

      http://t.co/xierAw9h

      it also has some references to Namivia and Zimbabwe.

      If anyone spots anything that needs further updating (possibly some of the
      estate records have been moved to other archives since we now have nine
      provinces) please let me know.

      --
      Keep well,
      Steve Hayes