The African genealogy discussion forum

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2006
      On 13 May 2006 this discussion forum was crippled by Yahoo!, so that I am
      unable, as owner/moderator, to manage the forum or access the membership
      lists.

      Some of you will have received a monthly notice inviting you to contribute to
      the forum, and to invite others to do so. Please be aware that these notices
      are sent out automatically, and that I have no control over the sending of
      them or of their content.

      If a YahooGroup is inactive for a long time, it can be removed, and so the
      messages were originally intended as a reminder to me and to other members,
      to participate in the group.

      I see three possibilities for the future of this group:

      1. That Yahoo! will restore full functionality to the group.

      2. That Yahoo! will allow the group to continue in its present dysfunctiional
      state.

      3. That Yahoo! will arbitrarily remove the group.

      Naturally I would prefer the first, but I am not particularly hopeful that it
      is likely to happen.

      The third possibility is most likely, in accordance with the Yahoo terms of
      service, which, with the high-flown language stripped, state that Yahoo! can
      discontinue any service, for any reason, at their sole discretion, as they
      have done in this case.

      After 6 weeks of trying to find out what was happening, I finally got a reply
      from Yahoo! that stated this.

      Your Yahoo! account was disabled pursuant to the Yahoo! GeoCities Terms of
      Service (TOS). You agreed to abide by the TOS when you created your Yahoo!
      GeoCities account. The TOS can be found for your review at:

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/geoterms.html

      and provides in relevant part: "You agree that Yahoo!, in its sole
      discretion, may terminate your password, Yahoo! GeoCities site, use of the
      Service or use of any other Yahoo! service, and remove and discard any
      Content within the Service, for any reason..."

      The only reason that I can think of is that before I went out in the morning,
      I allowed an outfit called Plaxo to copy my Yahoo! address book, in order to
      provided automatic updates of addresses, and when I returned home my Yahoo
      account no longer seemed to be working.

      Or at least some things worked, and some things didn't. The automated notices
      still go out to the YahooGroups. Reminders still reach me regularly from my
      Yahoo! Calendar, but most of the other things don't work, like the ability to
      maintain YahooGroups, or even appoint co-moderators to maintain them.

      If this group does suddenly disappear, and you wish to contact me for any
      reason, you can do so at the following web page, or at any of the addresses
      at the bottom of the page:

      http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw

      Web: http://hayesgreene.blogspot.com
      http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/famhist1.htm
      E-mail: shayes@...
      Searching for: HAYES, GROWDEN, VAUSE, HANNAN, STOOKE
      COTTAM, GREEN, PEARSON, FALKENBERG & more
    • Graham Dominy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
        On behalf of the SA National Archives, I am interested in this group,
        but the Yahoo issue was a major problem for us and our IT administrators
        blocked it entirely.

        Dr. Graham Dominy

        National Archivist

        National Archives and Records Service of South Africa

        24 Hamilton Street

        Arcadia

        Private Bag X236

        Pretoria

        0001 South Africa

        Tel. +27 (0)12 323 5300

        Fax: +27 (0)12 324 2855

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
          On 7 Jul 2006 at 12:37, Graham Dominy wrote:

          > On behalf of the SA National Archives, I am interested in this group,
          > but the Yahoo issue was a major problem for us and our IT administrators
          > blocked it entirely.

          Unfortunately the Yahoo terms of service make it impossible for YahooGroups
          to be used for any serious academic or historical purpose, since it is clear
          that they can (and do) arbitrarily shut down services for any reason or no
          reason at all.

          --
          Dr Stephen Hayes
          Freelance writer, editor, missiologist and teacher