Help required

  • claudv
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2010
      Hi all

      I was pointed in this group's direction from the SA Rootsweb list.

      I've just started researching my father's line and have already hit a brick wall with his mother, my grandmother.

      I have tried to obtain a full birth certificate but am strugglingfor two reasons - she was adopted through the Catholic Church in Cape Town at the age of 10 months in 1910 and the department of Home Affairs has her birth year as 1912 with only her adoptive parents' details.

      For many years she often said that as a baby, she came to South Africa via Namibia. Now I've looked online and spoken to a few ammateur historians but cannot find any reference detailing a migration out of Europe in the early 1900s. Does anyone know of any migration where women and children were evacuated out of Europe to Africa via Namibia?

      Any help is much appreciated.

      regards

      Claudine
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2010
        On 15 Nov 2010 at 14:16, claudv wrote:

        > I've just started researching my father's line and have already hit a brick
        > wall with his mother, my grandmother.
        >
        > I have tried to obtain a full birth certificate but am strugglingfor two
        > reasons - she was adopted through the Catholic Church in Cape Town at the age
        > of 10 months in 1910 and the department of Home Affairs has her birth year as
        > 1912 with only her adoptive parents' details.
        >
        > For many years she often said that as a baby, she came to South Africa via
        > Namibia. Now I've looked online and spoken to a few ammateur historians but
        > cannot find any reference detailing a migration out of Europe in the early
        > 1900s. Does anyone know of any migration where women and children were
        > evacuated out of Europe to Africa via Namibia?

        One possibility might be to look at the records of the Catholic Church in
        Namibia, but if she was baptised there, it may have been with a different
        name.

        --
        Keep well,
        Steve Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2010
          Thank you Steve I will give this a try.

          > I've just started researching my father's line and have already hit a brick
          > wall with his mother, my grandmother.
          >
          > I have tried to obtain a full birth certificate but am strugglingfor two
          > reasons - she was adopted through the Catholic Church in Cape Town at the age
          > of 10 months in 1910 and the department of Home Affairs has her birth year as
          > 1912 with only her adoptive parents' details.
          >
          > For many years she often said that as a baby, she came to South Africa via
          > Namibia.  Now I've looked online and spoken to a few ammateur historians but
          > cannot find any reference detailing a migration out of Europe in the early
          > 1900s.  Does anyone know of any migration where women and children were
          > evacuated out of Europe to Africa via Namibia?

          One possibility might be to look at the records of the Catholic Church in
          Namibia, but if she was baptised there, it may have been with a different
          name.

          --
          Keep well,
          Steve Hayes