Thomas Bailey HEATH

  • Sarah Ann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      A son of John Henry HEATH an 1820 settler went to the area around Johannesburg. In his death notice filed in the Cape I discovered he had died several years earlier. There is no death notice that I can find in the Transvaal archives. I cannot decipher the name of the place where he supposedly died. Is there anywhere I can look to find out possible settlements in the area pre-1857.

      Sarah Fulguirinas
      Christchurch, NZ. Researching HEATH, DELPORT, FOURIE< SMAL.
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2010
        Hello Sarah,

        Sources taken from 1820 Settlers Family Trees and Eastern Cape Families 1800 - 1900

        I hope it helps in some way:

        1. John Henry HEATH 1820 [17080]

        The parents of John Henry HEATH 1820 are:

        2. Henry HEATH [17078]'s occupation was a Writer. Henry was born about (est) 1770.

        John's occupation was an Attorney.

        John was born in 1794 at Bencoolen, Sumatra.

        John and Maria Iveson ?? 1820 [14805] were married about 1816.

        John and Maria had the following children:

        3. i. John Henry (Dr) HEATH 1820 [17079] John was born February 27, 1819. John was baptised March 25, 1827 at Port Alfred (Port Frances), Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev Thomas Ireland. John 's occupation was a Farmer in 1841 at Mancazana Valley, Grahamstown District, Eastern Cape, South Africa. John and Caroline OOSTHUIS [69571] were married August 23, 1841 at Fort Beaufort Chapel (English), Fort Beaufort, Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev George Booth. John and Ellen THOMPSON [69570] were married. John and Judick SMAL [69572] were married. John died in 1889 at Tarka District, Eastern Cape, South Africa.

        4. ii. Maria Cecelia HEATH [17081] was born February 26, 1821. Maria was baptised March 25, 1827 at Port Alfred (Port Frances), Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev Thomas Ireland. Maria and ?? DANIEL [16169] were married.

        5. iii. Caroline Amelia HEATH [17074] was born February 21, 1823. Caroline was baptised March 25, 1827 at Port Alfred (Port Frances), Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev Thomas Ireland.

        6. iv. Elizabeth Rosina HEATH [17075] was born March 18, 1825. Elizabeth was baptised March 25, 1827 at Port Alfred (Port Frances), Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev Thomas Ireland.

        7. v. Mathew George Thomas HEATH [17083] was born about 1827. Mathew was baptised September 11, 1831 at Grahamstown Church (St George's - Anglican), Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev William Carlisle.

        8. vi. Sarah Emily HEATH [17084] was born about 1830. Sarah was baptised September 11, 1831 at Grahamstown Church (St George's - Anglican), Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev William Carlisle. Sarah and Charles JOHNSON [61531] were married January 14, 1851 by Rev John Edwards. Sarah and Charles [61531] lived in 1853 at Vogel Rivier.

        9. vii. Henry HEATH [17077] was born about 1831. Henry was baptised September 11, 1831 at Grahamstown Church (St George's - Anglican), Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev William Carlisle.

        10. viii. Thomas Bailie HEATH [17085] was born about 1832. Thomas was baptised July 15, 1832 at Grahamstown Church (St George's - Anglican), Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev William Carlisle.

        11. ix. Mary Angelina HEATH [17082] was born about 1845. Mary was baptised December 3, 1845 at Grahamstown Church (St George's - Anglican), Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa by Rev John Barrow.

        John lived in 1819 at 44 Mincing Lane, London, England.

        John's occupation was a Notary between 1827 and 1832 at Port Alfred (Port Frances), Eastern Cape, South Africa.

        John's occupation was an Attorney at Law in 1844 at Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa.

        John died February 4, 1845 at Port Alfred (Port Francis) or Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa.

        ND Nash has 1845
        Monumental inscriptions says 1815 but aged 51. This age would not tie in with his birth date.

        John was buried at Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
        Regards Caroline - Belgium